Jotul Oslo burn tube replacement help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostbit

Feeling the Heat
Aug 4, 2008
Northwest Arctic Alaska
I have a friend with three year old Oslo that needs the secondary burn tubes replaced. The rear-most tube is rusted/blown in half, the other two are shortly behind it. $240 for three tubes, plus shipping!

He has asked me to help change them out (the new ones are not here yet), so thought I should become educated as best I can. I took a look into the stove and see the tube manifolds on each side of the stove. They appear to be split in half, with two bolts holding the lower half to the upper....or?

The stove has seen a lot of beach drift wood...actually, all beach drift wood. Its all we have here.

I found details on how to remove the oval stove top center to help get at things, the stove needs a good cleaning as well. I realize there is a baffle and blanket of sorts there.

The big question is getting the burn tubes out (what is left of them) without breaking things. I suspect if the two long bolts in each manifold are indeed how they come out, I am going to have fits with those bolts NOT wanting to come loose. If I break them off, what's next?

If anyone here has done this, please reply. And many Thanks!

for the price you quoted it sounds like he is getting the full assembly if you remove the top of the stover bolt font center left and right side center you can lift the top right off. You may snap a bolt when you try this i wouldnt worry to much they are really only in place for shipping the top is heavy enough to make a seal. back the two bolts that hold the assembly in and remove. shouldn't be to bad.

As I recall those tubes go into a cast iron manifold at each end of the tubes; these should rotate in their mountings. Without taking the top off you should be able to rotate these enough to have the tubes clear and be removed. Put in new tubes, rotate the manifolds back and fire it up. The tubes shouldn't be expensive, although I have not priced them. I would think you could easily replicate them if you had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.