Jotul Oslo F500 - The first seven years

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
I notice that I began posting on this forum in 2008, and my initial posts concerned the possible purchase of a Jotul F500 vs. the F600. For several reasons, I ended up with the F500 Oslo, and it is probably way past due for a report on how it has worked out.

The good: Although my living space is far above that recommended by Jotul - the stove size has worked out quite well over all. Our house is a story and a half with 2500 sq. ft. plus in living area, all over a full basement. It was designed and built by myself to super-insulated standards. Once temperatures drop to consistent daytime highs of 45 deg. or below, we heat 24-7 with just the stove. Wood consumption turns out to be even less than I had hoped for (and less than I originally thought - once I actually measured my "cord" stacks). The ash pan is every bit as convenient as I expected, the side loading is excellent, the ivory enamel looks almost like new (except see below), and the glass stays clean...enough. Finally, the 22" log length, with room to fit one or two sticks up to 24", fits my cutting/splitting habits very well. We still find the appearance pleasing.

The bad: Nothing unexpected. The 2.4 cu. ft. firebox is really not adequate for extended periods of sub-zero weather. We have that very seldom, fortunately. However, when it occurs I can only maintain a comfortable temperature in the house by loading every three hours or so. At the other extreme, with daytime highs of 50 deg. or better even a single load a day can be too much heat. Also, it turns out the enamel is not up to dropping a heavy fireplace tool directly on the ash lip of the side door. Perhaps this is not a surprise.

To say I have been pleased would be an understatement. If I had to do it again I still would not get the larger F600; it would be just too much stove for my situation. I would probably strongly consider the Woodstock Progress today, but it was unavailable then.

Glad to hear your first 6 years have gone well. I am on year 3 with my oslo. Heating 3200 square feet new house. The f600 might have been a better a for me because when it gets below zero it can not keep up. Other then that the f500 has been great.

We got our Oslo for free when a guy with too much money and too few brains couldn't get it to burn right.
We're on out 5th year with it, finally got a proper stack on it and have fine tuned it back to like new condition (thanks to this place and lots of reading) and absolutely live the stove.

Find it to be an elegant beast. It can look good and just putt along when needed but can really crank out the BTU'S when you need it too.

Glad to hear your first 6 years have gone well. I am on year 3 with my oslo. Heating 3200 square feet new house. The f600 might have been a better a for me because when it gets below zero it can not keep up. Other then that the f500 has been great.

No, I would not think the Oslo would be enough stove for 3200 sq. ft., especially in your climate.

Actually, this is my eighth season with this stove. Seven burning seasons have been completed.

I should have added that there have been no repairs to date. I will do the door gaskets soon, as a preventative measure.

I really wanted to get an Oslo but our corner install wouldn't work for side loading. Good looking and performing stove, especially in the blue-black enamel.

Status
Not open for further replies.