Jotul Oslo overnight fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

foxjoel

Oct 22, 2008
central ny
After having a Jotul 118 for over 30 years and heating mainly with wood I bought a Jotul Oslo last March.There is a lot to like: beautiful red-brown enamel, excellent fire view, much easier loading, but the control of the fire is harder. The old stove could be closed down and burn about indefinitely at a slow rate. With the new one the fire is out in the morning and must be completely restarted. I thought I'd get better at keeping an overnight fire but so far, no luck. Is this typical of the Oslo, of new stoves in general?

My oslo has 6 inch double wall pipe going through the wall into an exterior brick chimney, 2x2 foot chimney with an 8x8 inch clay liner, about 24 feet tall.

I burned about 6 or 8 chunks of red oak and ash last night, had it loaded at 9pm, had the air completely shut off at 9:30pm, secondary burn in full swing, stove top temp. was 500 degrees f. and this morning at 5:30 a.m. I raked the coals around and threw a couple more chunks in there just to keep 'er warm til I get home at around 4pm. Yesterday at 4 pm there were still enough hot coals to fire it right back up, and that was after 10.5 hours.

I'm not even burning the long stuff yet, this is on chunk wood, but good quality, dry, seasoned over a year and a half, oak and ash.

Sooooo,

how's your chimney set up, as draft will affect burn time?

also, what and how much wood you stuffin' that puppy with?

I always, always, have hot coals to refire in the morning, especially when I start serious burnin'.

put a big old round of oak, cherry, walnut, hickory, or the like, maybe 8 incher and 22 inches long, in the back of that oslo at night, stuff it in front and on top with whatever else you got, take her up to about 600 degrees with wide open air, shut her down to half air for 10 minutes, then down to a quarter for another 10 minutes, then you can likely shut off the air and go to bed.....should be fat red coals in there in the morning.

One thought, is the wood still split to size for the 118? You can put a lot more wood and bigger splits into the F500 to extend the burn. Use narrower splits to fill the gaps between the large splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.