Jotul Oslo (with Pictures) - One Minor Question - screws in flue collar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spendaviscpa

Hearth Supporter
Aug 26, 2008
Northern California
Hello Everyone!

Well, I finally finished the stone project and the installers came out last week to put the stove in. This is normally the type of project I can handle myself. However, my insurance company wanted it installed by a professional and I decided not to fight it. I did the 3 break-in fires with no problems and I have great draft despite the two 90 degree bends. My only concern is that the installers did not secure the Simpson DVL pipe to the stove collar. The installer said it was fine, don't worry about it, but keep your eye on it!

So I've done a ton of searches on here and reading. Some people say to use screws and some say not to worry. I'd like to hear what everone thinks on this topic.

The installer claimed it was impossible to put the screws in. I think with some careful measuring, I could make it happen. Just my opinion though!

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Attachments

• Jotul Oslo (with Pictures) - One Minor Question - screws in flue collar?
    Finished Hearth 027.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 917
    Finished Hearth 026.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 845
    Finished Hearth 012.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 930
I wouldn't worry about the screws or no screws, as long as the pipe feels tight.What I am wondering about is the spacers I see along the edge of your stone work? what is that?

RAMSAY said:
I wouldn't worry about the screws or no screws, as long as the pipe feels tight.What I am wondering about is the spacers I see along the edge of your stone work? what is that?

I used one inch copper pipe as my spacers...

The pipe is very tight, So I do feel good there. I was just looking for a little reassurance. Thanks

I have to say that is an interesting placement, I don't think I have ever seen a stove under a stairway before. I like the look, the stonework looks great. Good choice on the Jotul!

spendaviscpa said:
Hello Everyone!

Well, I finally finished the stone project and the installers came out last week to put the stove in. This is normally the type of project I can handle myself. However, my insurance company wanted it installed by a professional and I decided not to fight it. I did the 3 break-in fires with no problems and I have great draft despite the two 90 degree bends. My only concern is that the installers did not secure the Simpson DVL pipe to the stove collar. The installer said it was fine, don't worry about it, but keep your eye on it!

So I've done a ton of searches on here and reading. Some people say to use screws and some say not to worry. I'd like to hear what everone thinks on this topic.

The installer claimed it was impossible to put the screws in. I think with some careful measuring, I could make it happen. Just my opinion though!

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

We have a Lopi Liberty and the stove pipe is screwed into the stove collar, I'll put up some pictures tonight.

Your install looks very nice.

zap

Looks like a real nice install man. I don't see why you would need the screws either, but they are just a little extra insurance I guess.

mine has two screws 180 deg apart.

nice install. mine has no screws in the flue collar either.

My Super 27 has 3 pre-drilled holes on the collar for screws and the screws are in place. My insurance company had me fill out a "Supplemental Heating Questionarre" and one of the questions was is the stove pipe secured with screws to the stove collar.

[quote author="spendaviscpa" date="1289337720"]Hello Everyone!

spendaviscpa here are two pictures (one blurry) of the collar on the Lopi Liberty.

zap

Attachments

100_1859.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 627
    100_1860.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 623
Thanks for all the replies.

The Jotul has 2 predrilled holes in the collar. However, it's the installer who said he can't attach the Simpson DVL to the collar with screws. I was mostly wondering what other people's experience has been with Jotul and Simpson. I do appreciate everyone's reply. I've taken the pipe apart and put it back together just to see what the installer was talking about. I believe with some careful measuring I can get 2 screws in the pipe and then I'll feel much better.

I know under the stairs is not ideal. We looked at a few other options for stove placement and none of them worked very well. Plus the class A pipe was already installed there by the previous owners. To be honest, it does not feel like it is tucked under the stairs. We pulled it out as far as we could. You can look down from the stairs and see the stove top. Plus, I bought the blower to help push the heat out.

I'm glad to be done with the rock. I have a few pieces to put on the bottom still and around the little door on the left. I consider myself pretty well done for now!

Thanks again!

It is a very good idea to use screws at every stovepipe connection, including at the collar. Here is why:

Under certain gusty wind conditions, with some installs, there can be a momentary reversion in the draft, causing build-up of unburnt combustible gas in the stove / chimney system. As soon as draft returns to normal, fresh oxygen is drawn into the stove, the mixture suddenly ignites and you hear a "poof" (also called back puffing), and maybe get a wisp of smoke from a seam or two. No big deal provided the stovepipe stays together. Without screws it may not. My brother in law , who did not have any screws at the pipe connections, had his stove pipe blow right out of the wall and the stove started venting into his house when his stove back-puffed. It was a good thing he was home to address the situation, but it scared the cr*p out of him. That is all the reason I need to use screws at each joint. You may never have a back-puff occur, but a few screws are cheap insurance

spendaviscpa said:
Thanks for all the replies.

The Jotul has 2 predrilled holes in the collar. However, it's the installer who said he can't attach the Simpson DVL to the collar with screws. I was mostly wondering what other people's experience has been with Jotul and Simpson. I do appreciate everyone's reply. I've taken the pipe apart and put it back together just to see what the installer was talking about. I believe with some careful measuring I can get 2 screws in the pipe and then I'll feel much better.

I know under the stairs is not ideal. We looked at a few other options for stove placement and none of them worked very well. Plus the class A pipe was already installed there by the previous owners. To be honest, it does not feel like it is tucked under the stairs. We pulled it out as far as we could. You can look down from the stairs and see the stove top. Plus, I bought the blower to help push the heat out.

I'm glad to be done with the rock. I have a few pieces to put on the bottom still and around the little door on the left. I consider myself pretty well done for now!

Thanks again!

spendaviscpa all my pipe on the inside is screwed in, my pipe coming out of the collar is single wall all the way into the wall thimble which is double wall, what is yours?

zap

The correct way is to remove the two screws in the collar, drill right into your stove pipe, and then reinstall the screws. This is explained in your Jotul manual. They also recommend sealing the stove pipe to the collar with a gasket or stove cement. That'll give you the safest install.

Thats a very nice stove and looking at where you ve installed it, it is in an ideal situation.

We have a simillar set up with our Jotul 118 Black bear, it is nt difectly under the stair but in a room next to the stair, and this works very well for us. The f118 heats all of our upstairs rooms and half of the downstairs.

Very Nice stone work, how about all the heat be strapped under the satire case?

Thanks for the comments and advice. Here's the plan for the weekend.
1. I'm going to take the pipe apart.
2. Draw some reference points on the flue collar using masking tape.
3. Measure to predrilled holes on the flue collar.
4. Reassemble pipe and copy measurements on pipe.
5. Predrill holes in double wall pipe through existing holes in flue collar
6. insert screws.
7. Rest assured that the double wall pipe is now secured to the flue collar! (and still wondering why the installer did not do this!)

Also, about the heat being trapped under the stairs. I'm not too worried about that. I did get the blower installed on the the stove to help push the heat out. If is becomes a problem, I think a little fan on the floor in left hand corner angled up should help push the heat out as well. I'm more concerned with the heat being trapped at the top of the vaulted ceiling!

I'll post the results of my progress over the weekend!

I have an insert. I would not be able to sleep at night, not knowing that there were screws holding the liner to the insert. Especially when I am sweeping the flue.

Agreed. One good flashback and you will be singing praises to every single screw holding that pipe together firmly.

Status
Not open for further replies.