Jotul Outside Air Adapter & Blower Kit Questions - PLEASE HELP!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detector$

Dec 16, 2007
NC
Guys,

Do any of you have pictures of an outside air kit, I think I'm going to need one on a new installation.

Here are a few questions:

1) What does the Joutl Outside Air Adapter look like?

2) What are the code requirements for install?
(By that, I mean... for a Jotul Firelight F 600 CB, rear clearances to combustible materials is 19" inches. I assume that means that the 4" metallic fresh air CAN NOT penetrate the floor until it is beyond 19" inches behind the stove?) Otherwise the pipe would get hot and could ignite a fire where it passes through the plywood floor.
Will it need some sort of metallic stand-off or clearance plate through the floor?

3) If I want to install the Optional Blower Kit, can I install it AND the outside air kit?

4) Does the Blower Kit HAVE TO BE installed with the rear heat shield?

Thanks for your help!

First off is his head really up his A** as you aviator shows or is that just a Photoshop thingy.

Good questions call or email Jotul their engineers should set you straight.

Jøtul ASA
P.O. Box 1411
N-1602 Fredrikstad, Norway

Jøtul North America
400 Riverside Street
Portland, ME 04104

I'm the the life safety business and am a little paranoid. We're planning a pretty elaborate hearth and we need to plan in advance as much as possible.
I wish Jotul had an e-mail address or installation guide for the Outside Air Kit on their website...

Have you contacted Jøtul dealer yet? Why do you think you will need an exterior air source?

Usually exterior air supply pipes are through the wall and not brought through the floor.

Welcome aboard!

We're building an extremely energy efficient and sealed house. The wood stove will be near the center or the house (about 15-20 feet from an outside wall).
I was thinking of running the outside air tube through our crawlspace and through the foundation wall to outside. I'm hoping this thing won't be too ugly.

Cutting any hole to the exterior of a home is a No-No as per energy efficient and with a proper flue pipe you should not have a draft problem. Unless the stove is going to be in a very small room you should be able to draft quite well.

Now as per that crawl space.... dig down another 8'... the home will end-up being more efficient or at least build a solar mass instead of crawl space.

This part of North Carolina has brick red clay that swells and shrinks with the rain and drought. Basements don't work well here and tend to flood a lot.
I am considering a "sealed" or "conditioned" crawl space.
I figured that with the "direct connection" to the stove, and by sealing around the hole in the floor that there wouldn't be much leakage.

If it's not going to help, I sure don't want to cut holes in the hearth floor.

Anybody else out there have any experience with these things?

BTW, what is solar mass?

When did a blower kit or outside air kit become available for the F600? I didn't know there were blowers or outside air kits for any of Jotul's free standing stoves.

Ok. I found the air kit. A part number for the blower would be interesting.

I just googled Jøtul North America

Jøtul North America came up as

400 Riverside St., Portland, ME, United States
(207)797-5912, (207)772-0523 fax,

Jøtul North America 800 came up as

.consumers also can contact Jøtul toll-free at (800) 797-5912 extension 108 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST/ -5 CUT

Instructions (that are supposed to be provided with the kit) (Outside Air Kit & Blower) would be even better.
VC has them on their site.... Jotul does not.

author="Detector$" date="1199127622"]BTW, what is solar mass?

A solar (thermal) mass is used to heat/cool a home via sun or coolness of the earth in a well designed passive solar home.

basics_design_overhang.png

I too would like to see this blower kit. Is it only for the F600? Outside air kits are required on new stoves by WA state code. Unfortunately Jotul's smaller than the F400 don't have them. The part number for the F400 OAK is 154335.

Status
Not open for further replies.