Jotul Rockland - Matte or blue/black enamel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AK13

Feeling the Heat
Oct 15, 2010
Seacoast, NH
First post here. I lurked on this forum for a month while trying to pick a wood insert. Lots of great info. I settled on the Jotul Rockland and based on comments on this site I went with the blue/black enamel. Of course it ended up being backordered for a month and was supposed to arrive now-ish. It turns out that it is now estimated to arrive mid-November. And since they don't have a fixed date and it's already been pushed back once, I'm worried that it could take even longer. Apparently they are waiting for the castings to come from Norway.

So now I'm wondering if I should just go for the Matte black which they have in stock. It's a tough decision because they look so similar in the store (haven't actually seen a Rockland in either finish but looked at the other Jotuls). What I don't know is how the matte black will look in 1 month or 3 years. I think that I even prefer the look of the matte black on day one, but my understanding is that the paint flakes off and that they grey out. I know they can be painted, but I won't want to pull the insert and spray painting in the house doesn't sound like fun.

All the comments I can find seem to say either "go with the blue/black" or "I wish we got the blue/black" or "we got the blue/black and love it". So I'm inclined to keep waiting.

Any thoughts on this? Can anyone who has had the matte black for a few years tell me how its aged? Or any good pics?

I don't think there has been a Jotul owner here that has regretted getting the blue-black enamel. But several have regretted not getting it. This is an exceptionally nice finish. I'd get on the waiting list and/or call around to other dealers.

BeGreen said:
I'd get on the waiting list and/or call around to other dealers. I don't think there has been a Jotul owner here that has regretted getting the blue-black enamel. But several have regretted not getting it. This is an exceptionally nice finish.

Thanks for the quick reply. That seems to be the consensus....great finish and you won't regret it.

I already tried calling around to other dealers, but not until the recent delay. I couldn't find one in stock at any other dealers in the area. I'm just getting impatient. And its gettin' cold out!

Yes, this is the busiest time of the year for stove sales and installations. And there is the added sales pressure due to the tax credit.

But, look at it this way, you have done without it in past winters, so a month wait is not too bad.

I got matte black instead of enamel on my hearthstone product and can honestly say it looks pretty bad after just three eyars. It rubs off, flakes off, turns grey, etc. All of the reasons you have stated for going with enamel. I can always brush on black paint to eliminate the spray issue buy haven't done it.

It is cold. We had frost this week in the rain forest of washington.

Thanks for the feedback so far. If there is anyone who has the Rockland in either of these finishes I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

At this point I'm still waiting away, but I'm nervous because of the fact that they've already pushed back the date once. I would hate to wait for another month and then have to give up and get the black one anyway. I do need to get it installed by the end of the year for the tax credit.

What causes the paint flaking and turning gray? Is it a paint issue or is it a cast iron issue?

Do steel inserts have this problem? Actually, isn't the Jotul cast iron and steel?

I have the matte black and after two years it looks just about like new. A wet wipe down does the trick and if needed a simple matte black high temp spray does the fit-it trick. I needed the extra surround and it got scratched on the install and after a quick spray with the can it looked brand new. I choose the matte for two reasons: one I liked the look and two - cost The savings was worth it to me. I hope I can say that in a few more years. If I need to touch it up I don't plan on pulling it out. A little tape and plastic and a few shots with a spray can will do the trick. Again - I have not had to do this yet to the stove - but it will be easy if I need to. No regrets here.

I got the 550 in matt black in December of '09, i've burned a little more than 3 cords so far. Except for a little bit of paint rubbing off of the handle, it still looks like new. But I am being very careful around it. My vote is wait for the blue/black.

I got the 550 in matt black in December of '09, i've burned a little more than 3 cords so far. Except for a little bit of paint rubbing off of the handle, it still looks like new. But I am being very careful around it. My vote is wait for the blue/black.

Ditto on the matte black finish. My c550 is also two years old and I use it 24/7 and have not had to do any painting yet. If the dealer keeps putting you off on the blue/black arrival time I would go with the matte black he may still have in sto ;-) ck. Good luck with whichever Rockland you purchase.

I'm one of those folks BeGreen mentioned . . . bought the matte black at the time since a) it was in stock and b) it had a good price tag. On Year 3 and the stove doesn't look bad . . . I just think it would look better with the blue-black finish and imagine cleaning it would be a lot easier.

Blue black wins in my book.

(Oh, shoot, FFJake knows this already. :) )

Shari

Shari said:
Blue black wins in my book.

(Oh, shoot, FFJake knows this already. :) )

Shari

Arrrghhhh . . . I somehow knew you would make some comment Shari. ;) :)

But it's OK . . . my plain Jane matte black Oslo is still keeping me and my wife nice and toasty warm . . . even if it's not quite as pretty as your stove. ;)

FFJake,

Pretty is 'nice' - but good heat is GREAT!

(Okay, truce, I promise I won't mention b/b again. ;) )

Shari

Reason said:
What causes the paint flaking and turning gray? Is it a paint issue or is it a cast iron issue?

Do steel inserts have this problem? Actually, isn't the Jotul cast iron and steel?
Unless you enjoy the look of the fading and graying, almost all matte-black cast stoves need to be repainted at one point. It's normal for the paint to do this over time from the heat. I'd save yourself the trouble and wait for the enamel.. it never has to be touched and just looks better in my opinion.

Shari said:
FFJake,

Shari

Hehheh . . . I look at our little friendly banter in the same way as Backwoods Savage and I on the topic of the best way to split wood with a hydraulic splitter . . . I look forward to the back-and-forth friendly ribbing.

firefighterjake said:
Shari said:
FFJake,

Shari

Hehheh . . . I look at our little friendly banter in the same way as Backwoods Savage and I on the topic of the best way to split wood with a hydraulic splitter . . . I look forward to the back-and-forth friendly ribbing.

(Got it! You did realize I didn't make the 'truce' with a straight face, right? :) )

Seriously though, we have an antique potbelly stove just as decoration in our kitchen. It is the 'flat' black and has been stove polished many times. Knowing how hard that was to keep clean of simple dust (dust it off and the dust just grinds into the stove polish) taught me to either look at the porcelain enamel or the blue/black offered by Jotul.

The Isle Royal really, really caught my eye (porcelain enamel) but then I looked at an older, used stove that was (probably) a Vermont Castings and saw how that enamel wore over the years. I'm not saying the IR would wear like that but it sure was an eye opener on the porcelain enamel finish.

Anyway, we chose the Oslo in the b/b and simply couldn't be happier with the exterior finish and the great heat output.

Shari

I would hold out for the ivory enamel.....

And only because I get to post a picture, again,

Attachments

• P1050868.jpg
    P1050868.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 845
This will be my third year with my Matte Black C550. Looks as good as the day it was installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.