1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Jotul ventless LP heater

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by peedenmark7, Sep 19, 2012.

1. peedenmark7

peedenmark7 Member

Loc:
    wisconsin
    I'm curious if the Jotul ventless firelight is as bad for you as some of the other cheapy ventless LP heaters ? Ventless is ventless correct ? Either way you are breathing the exhaust ?

I thought these were illegal in most states.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    FYI, I've NEVER seen a Jotul Gas Stove that wasn't either B-vent or Direct Vent. There are NONE of the House Vented (aka Vent Free) units even listed on the Jotul website...
  3. peedenmark7

peedenmark7 Member

Loc:
    wisconsin
  4. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Interesting. The Hearth company I worked for did not sell, service or recommend house vented appliances, so it's no wonder I never ran across one. Learn somethin new every day!
  5. jotulguy

jotulguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central Pa
    Those were offered a little over a decade ago. There are people out there on both sides of the fence on the vent free units. I would recommend doing some research and keep in mind that the unit you are looking at is already over a decade old. It could get hard to find parts in the not that distant future.
  6. peedenmark7

peedenmark7 Member

Loc:
    wisconsin
    I am not interested in it, but find it odd that at least in WI, it is illegal to install one of these, yet stores can sell them.

This thing looks just like my older Firelight DV save for no vent. I've seen a bunch of these in WI, MI, MN sell for $300. One would think the cast iron parts would be worth that?
    Then again how many folks are out there looking for them.
  7. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    they used to be illegal in NYS but stores could sell them. Never understood it. (they are legal now).

Ventless is ventless is ventless. No matter who makes it, the combustion byproducts end up in the room. Although, I think maybe some of the mfg's like vermont castings or jotul might have had higher quality parts in them, making them a little safer as far as o2 sensors and such.