Judge my first year stacking wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
1628534965368.png

The Belarussian judge gives you a 8.7 by noting the careful stacking technique with a few deductions for not using the advanced cross stacking at the ends.

The British judge gives you a 8.5 by noting the "bloody brilliant" way that most all of the wood has been sorted to about the same size but suggests top covering might be useful.

The American judge gives you a 9.0 simply for making the attempt and because there is a cute puppy in the photo . . . OK, they also noted the use of cribbing to help promote air flow in and under the stacks.

And the Norwegian judge gives you a 8.5 for the stacking technique with a slight deduction for not consistently keeping all of the wood either bark side up or bark side down.

:)

I approve of the stacks...

Note to all, lumber prices are coming down. I just paid less than $6 apiece for 2x4x104 5/8 studs... Sheet goods are still quite high, but lumber is down a lot. 2 months ago those studs would have been $14-$16.

Reactions: EbS-P
I approve of the stacks...

Note to all, lumber prices are coming down. I just paid less than $6 apiece for 2x4x104 5/8 studs... Sheet goods are still quite high, but lumber is down a lot. 2 months ago those studs would have been $14-$16.
6$ a 2x4x8 here. I need a wood shed. I need another project like I need another hole in my head.

"Another" _g
We have been doing a renovation since November 2019………. Just put down final pieces of floor in the basement yesterday. But I want to stay ahead in my firewood. Pine for Winter 2022-23 was dropped off yesterday and now I need be thinking where to put it.
Evan

The OP’s stack looks great. If it hasn’t been said already, I’d top cover them with something. Especially with the trees overhead, you’ll find that you have all manner of crap falling onto the wood that then gets wet with rain and slows the drying of wood down. Allow the sides to breathe. I like using tin roofing. Just make sure to bend down the very sharp edges with pliers. Someone could get hurt really quickly on those things. I found that my wood only started getting really dry once I top covered regularly.

Reactions: fbelec