What a difference a year makes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wildflush

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2022
MA
Nothing like seasoned wood. First season burning last year and had a few hissing pieces. Mixed in redstones. Sweep in May said I had good burning habits and just powder that was cleaned out. This year like night and day, reloads fast no smoldering, glass is clean with no brown or black soot in lower left corner of glass. Glad I got ahead on wood last year. 4 cords total. This spring will add two more cords to the rotation for 3 years out.

What is the current moisture content, bitte schon.

Reactions: BC_Josh
Oak at 16%. My cherry is old over 6 years so don’t bother with moisture meter.

Reactions: Niro
Dry wood after a season of wet wood is a wonderful thing.

Getting wood up so you have a 3 year rotation is a lot of work, but it feels great knowing you are set and don't have to worry about your wood being ready.

Getting wood up so you have a 3 year rotation is a lot of work, but it feels great knowing you are set and don't have to worry about your wood being ready.
Evan better so far ahead you don’t have to split for a year;) or two.

I had some maple last year and thought it was ready only to hiss. The majority I had last was 20% or under but had to be selective. Oak forget about it. Wood bricks were great to mix in.

Reactions: EbS-P
Trying to get my better half to realize that I do not have 'Enough' Wood. Last year was first year and I had limited supply so I was very conservative with my burn habits. Ran out in March. This year I should be all set, but the Oak stacked last Summer and the Beech stacked this summer I am not expecting to be ready next year. All she sees is piles of wood and thinks I have plenty.

My SO was the same way just 4 years ago. Liked buying bundled wood from gas stations on demand, and getting pissed when I even tried to save some kindling. But once the fire became part of her routine (in this case, it's the ambiance), my SO learned to appreciated it.

What really changed her mind was arranging lot's of activities around the fire - guitar sessions, painting sessions, eating finger foods together. Also I've used a lot of the color flame packs to increase her intrigue. These got her hooked to the fire. Now she's proactively protecting the wood from moisture and getting on my @ss as the wood runs low in the house.

Reactions: Wildflush
Yup learning curve for my wife last year. She thinks I enjoy moving the wood around, splitting etc. which I do 😂. Looking forward to adding a few cords come April.

Yeah I bought a truckload of Rounds last year, Guy dumped them at the edge of our drive way. I split them large to move and get stacked so the Driveway area was clear. Now I want to split smaller and re-stack and getting the 'You are doing double the work' line. Learned my lesson on that one. Going to split small from the outset. It will take twice as long, but if she complains, I can use her own words against her.

Wife came home to a secondary inferno! I said that is what 12-14% MC oak does. STT reached 700 and was not loaded up. Just 7 smaller splits and some end cut shorties to fill some gaps.

Wife came home to a secondary inferno! I said that is what 12-14% MC oak does. STT reached 700 and was not loaded up. Just 7 smaller splits and some end cut shorties to fill some gaps.
Yep, it's a wonderful thing. Just need to be careful when it gets cold and the draft picks up even more. It's easy to go nuclear with a full load. I tend to stick with 50-70% sized loads when possible to avoid potential meltdowns. It's a true first world problem.

Yup learning curve for my wife last year. She thinks I enjoy moving the wood around, splitting etc. which I do 😂. Looking forward to adding a few cords come April.

Agreed! I thought about getting some now actually but I need to source more pallets first. I like processing when it's cold out.

Reactions: Wildflush