Just a reminder. Watch your ashes.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madrone

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2008
Just South of Portland, OR
I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to ashes. I dump them on the side of the property and hose the bastards down with a bunch of water. It probably looks kind of crazy with some guy in a bath robe, disheveled hair, and hung over hosing down dirt in January, but I'll be damned if I end up being the guy that starts a fire around here...

BrowningBAR said:
I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to ashes. I dump them on the side of the property and hose the bastards down with a bunch of water. It probably looks kind of crazy with some guy in a bath robe, disheveled hair, and hung over hosing down dirt in January, but I'll be damned if I end up being the guy that starts a fire around here...

I'm waiting for the day when I can dump ashes on the leaves that my neighbor blows into my yard when I'm not home.

Only problem is the FD 2nd in command lives next door.

Bbar...excellent post. You pictured it perfect...had me laughing.

I would add that you want to be very careful where you place that metal container full of ashes. It can be hot for days. Don't set it on combustibles. If it is on your porch, place it on a layer of bricks, not directly on the wood. Same thing if it is out in the yard. Don't set it on some leaves, even if they are wet.

BeGreen said:
I would add that you want to be very careful where you place that metal container full of ashes. Don't set it on combustibles. If it is on your porch, place it on a layer of bricks, not directly on the wood. Same thing if it is out in the yard. Don't set it on some leaves, even if they are wet.

And allow me to add not to touch said ash bucket containing hot ashes with your bare skin. Including, but not limited to; the small of your back, your calf, forearm, or forehead (don't ask).

BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:
I would add that you want to be very careful where you place that metal container full of ashes. Don't set it on combustibles. If it is on your porch, place it on a layer of bricks, not directly on the wood. Same thing if it is out in the yard. Don't set it on some leaves, even if they are wet.

And allow me to add not to touch said ash bucket containing hot ashes with your bare skin. Including, but not limited to; the small of your back, your calf, forearm, or forehead (don't ask).
Were those all at the same time?

You must be good at the game of Twister.

BeGreen said:
I would add that you want to be very careful where you place that metal container full of ashes. It can be hot for days. Don't set it on combustibles. If it is on your porch, place it on a layer of bricks, not directly on the wood. Same thing if it is out in the yard. Don't set it on some leaves, even if they are wet.

I will also add don't 'store' ashes inside your home for the same reasons. I really bugs me when I see photos of those fancy black ash buckets filled with ashes and sitting on the carpet or wood floors inside a home..... They can get hot on the bottom even though they are (sometimes) double-bottomed and/or accidentally knocked over by a child or even an overly active pet when you are not home.

BrowningBAR said:

LOL I wonder if we can get a picture of this..... I can only imagine what the next door neighbor thinks seeing this.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shawn

I've said it before and I'll say it again . . . I've seen more bad "woodstove-related" fires started by the improper disposal of the ashes than I have from other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.