Just about ready to engage the cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
We usually wait until the stove top is 250 degrees before engaging the cat. I just went out on our porch and checked the porch railing with the laser temp gauge and it registers 145 degrees. Should be able to engage the cat within about an hour or so at the rate it is climbing. This is awful.....

Dennis,

It is terrible here on the east coast as well. We are to top 100 in air temp and extremely high humidity. Extremely dangerous conditions. Which is why I worked outside from 7 am to 930 am and called it quits today. Thank god I am not at my "regular" job today, then I would not have a choice and I would be baking in this nastiness.

Shawn

I've been hauling water so no hard work but I still take a long break between loads. Had some company for a bit too so that kept me cool as we came indoors. I just came back in and looked at both outdoor thermometers and they are both well shaded. Both read 98. I see that Flint has a heat index of 111 with Lansing and Saginaw not far behind.

We finally have some relief. The humidity is down and It actually felt cool enough to go cut up some downed Red Oak at the neighbors cottage. Ended up with a good truck load.

Not sure what our heat index is, but the outside thermo out the kitchen window (north side and shaded) is showing 90. Not sure of the humidity but it feels pretty high. How's that for technical?
One of our dogs died late last night and we buried her under some pines today. I thought I was going to lose 20 lbs (I wish) digging the hole.
I've been trying to level the inside of the wood shed floor before filling and that's slow going. Plenty of water, and going back into the house with the window shaker running. Feels like my shirt weighs about 20 lbs.!

Whew, I read the thread title and thought Dennis was giving up the ornery wife and getting remarried, to a cat no less. Imagine my relief. Stay cool man!

99 in the shade. 81 dew point. Heat index 119. Deck rail 141. Trash can behind the house 165.

We are certainly a sick bunch of people being on a wood forum during this brutal heat wave. I went out to water the flowers and could hardly breath. Back to the AC .... and Hearth.Com LOL

The visual is what gets me.
Imagine a whole bunch of Hearth members running around with temp meters measuring anything and everything. :lol:
All I know is, it's hot and humid. Still,....much better than when I was working.

PapaDave said:
The visual is what gets me.
Imagine a whole bunch of Hearth members running around with temp meters measuring anything and everything. :lol:
All I know is, it's hot and humid. Still,....much better than when I was working.

As long as I'm not the lone nutjob, I'm good with that.

Pictures in the paper today of everybody out there with the infrared thermos reading temps of stuff.

spent 8 hours in my lab today was burning pellet stoves 2 ea 25-ep units. i dunno how hot it was in there cause i was scared to look at the thermometer. needless to say my "old spice high endurance" was beyond its "high endurance" i still have some "burning stuff" to do tomorrow as well. seriously thinking about going in at about 2 am and just work til about 10 to beat the heat.

Going to a job site in the tropics I heard they worked tropical hours. I was happily thinking 2am to 10am. When I got there, we were on six and one-half tens. No power = no lights, so we started at 6am and quit at 4:30pm. Whoopee. Got used to the heat, since no power also = no air conditioning. So much for reading the fine print.

stoveguy2esw said:
spent 8 hours in my lab today was burning pellet stoves 2 ea 25-ep units. i dunno how hot it was in there cause i was scared to look at the thermometer. needless to say my "old spice high endurance" was beyond its "high endurance" i still have some "burning stuff" to do tomorrow as well. seriously thinking about going in at about 2 am and just work til about 10 to beat the heat.

I was repairing/testing a pellet stove the other day (Englander) and man what a miserable thing to do in the summer!!! If customers would let me work at 2:00AM I would!

cmonSTART said:
I was repairing/testing a pellet stove the other day (Englander) and man what a miserable thing to do in the summer!!! If customers would let me work at 2:00AM I would!

Yeah I know. That 25-PDVC only burned two bags in the basement before I moved it out and put the wood stove back in. The pellet puppy was for a venture that didn't happen. Now I have three tons of pellets and need to check it out before winter but it ain't gonna happen right now I guarantee ya.

BeGreen said:
Whew, I read the thread title and thought Dennis was giving up the ornery wife and getting remarried, to a cat no less. Imagine my relief. Stay cool man!

:lol:

We topped out at 101 yesterday afternoon. It's been a long time since we got that hot here. Not long enough though.

This morning I can see some showers coming out of Wisconsin. There are some light showers near here but they are all breaking right up. At least is is cooler this morning. In the high 60's vs. yesterday morning at 83 when we got up.

Man I wish it was cooler here right now. When I got up at 5 it was still 80 degrees and 92% humidity. I can't even see out a window in my house and the air feels like you can cut it wiht a knife. I have a feeling it's going to be a miserable day temp and humidity wise.

Backwoods Savage said:
BeGreen said:

We topped out at 101 yesterday afternoon. It's been a long time since we got that hot here. Not long enough though.

This morning I can see some showers coming out of Wisconsin. There are some light showers near here but they are all breaking right up. At least is is cooler this morning. In the high 60's vs. yesterday morning at 83 when we got up.

The thermometer on my car that reads the outside temp hit 106 yesterday.

Backwoods Savage said:
BeGreen said:

We hit 69 briefly yesterday. It was 52 this morning. Feels like Julyber. Oh well, at least it's sunny now.

BeGreen said:

Darn it . . . that right there made me laugh so hard I had a snot bubble.

Backwoods Savage said:
We usually wait until the stove top is 250 degrees before engaging the cat. I just went out on our porch and checked the porch railing with the laser temp gauge and it registers 145 degrees. Should be able to engage the cat within about an hour or so at the rate it is climbing. This is awful.....

Looks like Loon is doing the north country a favor, cold front from Canada should knock the temps to 59 Sunday night.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.