Just an Obsrvation about glass staying clean!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whphel

Dec 18, 2007
Lake Stevens, WA
Since I installed a blower and have had to open up the draft to achive more heat out of my stove I have noticed the glass in my stive stays much much cleaner than prior to the blower.

i attribute this to buring the stove hotter than before. Part of the reason for me not buring above 500d was the thermometer that I bought says that over 500 was over firing but according to my avalon manual anyting above 800 is overfiring so I guess 550-650 is okay and has kept the glass cleaner and has reduced the smoke for the chimney to little to zero.

Just an observation I thought I would share.

Yeap, the hotter the fire the cleaner the glass will get. Zero smoke is also a good sign of a clean burn.

Wow! Over 500 degrees overfiring?! Certainly would not keep your butt very warm in the temperatures we have this weekend! Don't pay any attention to what that says on that thermometer. Your avalon manual will be the correct one to follow.

These thermometers have scales on them that are meant for flue surface temperatures, not for stove top surface temperatures.

I am beginning to wonder how much pollution and chimney fires have been caused by these misunderstood scales. 500-650 degrees are very normal stove top temperature for steel and cast iron stoves.

BeGreen said:
These thermometers have scales on them that are meant for flue surface temperatures, not for stove top surface temperatures.

I am beginning to wonder how much pollution and chimney fires have been caused by these misunderstood scales. 500-650 degrees are very normal stove top temperature for steel and cast iron stoves.

Since all new wood stoves need to be EPA cert and are supposed to burned hotter, maybe the thermometer manufacururs should change there packaging specifiing that a certain thermometer is meant for the stove top or pipe install and adjust the color coded areas to apply to each for cleaner burning.

If I had not found a thread that made me pull out my owners manual just recently, I would have kept burning at 450-500 but now Im burning 550-650 big difference in heat output performance and lack of smoke and the wood seems to last the same if not a little longer plus the glass stays clean (real clean) compared to before.

Status
Not open for further replies.