Just bought a VC Defiant 1610 for $350 then found out it's going to cost me like $1000 to fix it!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would check with the local dealer and see if your stove can be rebuilt with the new 2 in 1 guts which are more durable. Could be costly though.

fohrman said:
I am on my 2nd fountain, as the first one lasted only one season (picture attached). I picked up the Defiant non-cat during the time the company was changing ownership. This ultimately meant no honoring of the lifetime warranty. New fountain cost about $400.00.
After 2 seasons, the wonderful "thunder" of the Everburn system is diminishing and heat output is not as it should be.

I have been researching ceramic fiber refractory board material and will be building a few spare fountains, since I can't afford to keep changing these out every 1-2 seasons. I am hoping the 2300F rating and water vapor resistance of the material will outperform the original fountain.

The stove does work great, with a new fountain. I did take some measurements of the replacement fountain, but a CAD or original drawing of same would be extremely useful. I am a skilled engineer and have no qualms building my own.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Wow, rebuilding refractory material seems to be a common thing with Vermont Castings Stoves. I, too, used to replace the "combustor" box in my Resolute Acclaim every 2 years. Luckily, it wasn't $400 though (only $250-ish). I loved the top loading, but the constant replacement of parts wore me out on Vermont Castings products.

I'm feelin' your pain!!!

Todd/JDinspector- I see you both have Woodstock stoves. I wanted to attend their open house up there in NH last month, but I was emptying out my wallet over a inground pool project at that time. How do like the soapstone wood stoves and side loading so far? Trying to decide what my next move will be.

Thanks,

Wes

Case75XT said:
Todd/JDinspector- I see you both have Woodstock stoves. I wanted to attend their open house up there in NH last month, but I was emptying out my wallet over a inground pool project at that time. How do like the soapstone wood stoves and side loading so far? Trying to decide what my next move will be.

Thanks,

Wes

Woodstock stoves are great, they do everything as advertised and more. Too bad you didn't make the trip, I heard it was a good time.

just a 2 hour ride up too

Todd said:
Case75XT said:

Thanks,

Wes

Woodstock stoves are great, they do everything as advertised and more. Too bad you didn't make the trip, I heard it was a good time.

I agree with what Todd said. My observations relative to your questions:

How do I like soapstone? I like it. It really is an even heat. My stove has rarely gotten to the point where it blows me out of the room. It just doesn't get up to that 700+ temps that the cast iron did. Much more even heat, and plenty of coals in the morning. Really easy to keep a 24/7 fire going, if that's your plan.

How do I like side loading? I have to say, I prefer top loading, but since the stove isn't loaded as often, I don't think of side loading as a big deal. It really is amazing how much less frequently it has to be loaded.

If you're close to Woodstock, I would take a run up there to see some stoves. You won't be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.