Just bought an EKO 40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMX_512

Nov 17, 2008
Louisville, KY
Well now I have jumped in with both feet.
I just got off of the phone with Andy @ Cozy Heat.
EKO 40 and a few accessories will be on the way shortly.

I have been looking at past posts as well as manufacturers diagrams for plumbing ideas.
I have a CAD drawing that I have been working on and will post it....as soon as I figure out how.
Can anyone here play in the CAD *.DWG format or should I just post it as PDF...or maybe JPG???

Good to have another EKO experimentilist in the boiler room Welcome and Congrats..Dave

Thank you all for the replies
Here is the plumbing diagram that I have been working on.
Not really sure how to plumb the storage tank so that it will charge when needed and also supply as needed.
Is Water supply(Light Blue) really needed in both locations?

Thanks again

Happy New Year to everyone

Attachments

• EKO 40_Plumbing6.jpg
    EKO 40_Plumbing6.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 539
Congrats on the EKO purchase keep in mind the HX units for the forced air furnaces are not that efficent so size them as large as possible and feed the water in counter flow direction. I am no expert but it seems a pressurized system should only need a single water fill with regulator and checkvalve plus shutoff before and after so you can clean out the filter in the regulator.

Bought my 40 from Cozy in 06. They set me up with the air exchanger that I needed. Just measured my hot air plenum and they fixed me up. The heat exchanger does require more electrical power than circ's but my home is warmer than it has ever been and more even heat than with oil. Overall my electric went up $10 for the same month compared to the prior year. My oil bill stopped altogether though so I didn't even blink. I want to go to radiant but that is another puzzle down the road. Wishing you the best on your set up..........

DMX, the easiest way I found to plumb my tanks so they are always charging when the boiler is running but they provide the supply when the boiler is cool was to put it at the "end" of the loop. Both of my heat zones are plumbed before the tanks. So if there is no call for heat from any zones all the hot water goes into the tanks. If there is a call for heat the hot water will first hit the zones and the rest will go to the tanks. And finally, when there is a call for heat and the boiler circ is off the hot water supply will basically reverse from the tanks to the zones. I did this with 2 circs and no zone valves....

DMX,

Welcome to the EKO club.

I have installed and have been using my 40 with 1,000 gallons pressurized storage for apporx. 1.5 months and thus my goods and bads are still frsh in my mind.

I will print off your schematic when I get home and can email you my schematic if you would like (just send me a private email on the forum system as the attached drawings as found on the forum are a little small due top the size and pixel restraints set forth by the website guru's).

One word of major advice for a problem I have been batteling since my start-up is to make sure your circ. pump going to the boiler is properly sized. I discovered that mine was way over sized and was not pulling the heat away from the boiler (changed from high speed to low speed on a Taco 010-IFC and BTU's doubled and pump wattage consumption was reduced by 40 Watts). let me know if you need help in calcualting GPM/head of you system and selecting the pump.

Good luck !!!!

BC

No need for two expansion tank locations, one or two, properly sized at the storage tank would be fine. What about the B side of the DHW heat exchanger, how will it flow through the tank?

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.