Just curious. How does air flow through an Englander NC-30?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcims

Nov 18, 2008
Midwest
I'm not sure if I'm asking for the recipe to the secret sauce here, but how does air flow through the Englander NC-30? Obviously a good portion comes through the hole at the top of the doghouse/zipper thing, and the secondary tubes, (edit: and the air wash) but does it come from anywhere else (assuming good seals and capped ash chutes/doors)? What about the curved plate around the dog house? And when open/close the air intake lever, does it affect all of them equally?

My understanding from looking at the stove, and from what I have read on here. The tube intake in the back (where you would hook up an outside air kit) is what you control with the lever, this runs across the bottom of the stove, up each side of the door, and feeds the airwash. The doghouse, or zipper air is fed by two holes behind each front leg, these you cannot see if on the pedestal, this air is set by Englander and you have no control over it. Lastly, in the back, right above the tube intake, is small rectangular air intake, this feeds the upper burn tubes. If you look in your stove, center back where there isn't any firebricks, this is the channel for this air, up, then out to each side, and then along the sides to feed the tubes, this also factory set and not user adjustable. Well not by the lever anyways... ;-)

This has been discussed a few times in the past. There are a couple threads around here somewhere that have pretty good descriptions of how it works.

-SF

MikeP said:
My understanding from looking at the stove, and from what I have read on here. The tube intake in the back (where you would hook up an outside air kit) is what you control with the lever, this runs across the bottom of the stove, up each side of the door, and feeds the airwash. The doghouse, or zipper air is fed by two holes behind each front leg, these you cannot see if on the pedestal, this air is set by Englander and you have no control over it. Lastly, in the back, right above the tube intake, is small rectangular air intake, this feeds the upper burn tubes. If you look in your stove, center back where there isn't any firebricks, this is the channel for this air, up, then out to each side, and then along the sides to feed the tubes, this also factory set and not user adjustable. Well not by the lever anyways... ;-)

That answers at least one of my questions about the doghouse (and why i asked if it affected all of them the same). Your description has helped my mental image of what's going on quite a bit... It seems to me the OAK is providing a bit of a 'cold air charge' effect like you get with a cold air intake on a car. I wonder if the secondary tubes would benefit from same (although the cold air might drop the baffle temp and prevent it from doing its job). I don't understand why the secondary flames seem to go out when you shut the intake down though, if the air coming in from those is still rich in O2...maybe it's that there is no flame reaching up to ignite it?

SlyFerret said:
This has been discussed a few times in the past. There are a couple threads around here somewhere that have pretty good descriptions of how it works.

-SF

Thanks for the heads up...I had done a bit of searching with the site search and didn't find anything. A dose of confidence and bit of Googling is yielding better results though.

Status
Not open for further replies.