Just for fun

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I took the ax out yesterday and split a couple of the rounds from the hickory that came down in June. They split real easy and it felt good to use different muscles than running does. An added bonus was that I enjoyed the quiet. I won't do them all this way but if I get the itch to split and don't have time to pull out the splitter, I know what I'm doing.

fv

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
What kind of ax? If you don't already have it, a 6 - 8 lb. splitting maul is a joy to use.

I own a 12 lb. maul, and occasionally borrow an 18 lb. monster maul. Both go thru stuff that my 8-pounder won't, but neither are as satisfying to use.

I have no idea the weight but this was a double bladed ax the previous owner left behind. He left a maul too but I just grabbed this one.

fv

I'm more productive with a maul, but an ax is more fun for me.

An axe will work with hickory, because once it is hit it opens up and splits clean all the way through..........at least for me
But a maul is cake

Hmm... Never tried splitting with an axe, other than kindling with a hatchet. Got plenty of axes, though... Will have to try it sometime. They're not used for much beyond cutting poison ivy vines, around my place.

Interesting...hickory is usually pretty hard to split. I would imagine an axe would be the least productive tool for it, based on my experience. Either way, there's something enjoyable about busting wood manually...good exercise.

Everything here is split with an axe/maul/sledge and wedge as I don't have a splitter

It's always fun (until the gnarly joints appear)...... ;)

lukem, that's what I was thinking with the first whack but it went through. I have a feeling it's splitting so smoothly due to the twisting motion the tree took when it came down. I had some long, thick "splinters" in this part of the tree when I cut up the trunk. I tried splitting the heart wood today and the ax bounced.

fv

A double bit axe is all we had to split with when I was younger. Good ole True Temper wood buster...still have it, but dont split with it anymore.

Seems we have much in common. I split most with axe but also had my choice of double or single bit axe. I also had sledge and wedges for the tough stuff.

Reactions: Shadow&Flame
" I tried splitting the heart wood today and the ax bounced."...Now that sounds like the hickory I know...ha

Seems we have much in common. I split most with axe but also had my choice of double or single bit axe. I also had sledge and wedges for the tough stuff.

We had a sledge and I think one wedge...dont remember using them much thou.

Sometimes to blow off some steam or just for fun I'll start whacking at a few bucked up pieces of wood with my ax . . . but after awhile I remember why I bought a hydraulic splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.