Just got a call a hickory fell across the road..With pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Score this is a tree that I looked at a couple months ago and needed a block and tackle because of the 30 degree lean well last night it fell across the road. Will post some pic's and cut it out Sunday A.M.

Yeah go get that thing, get 'er cut up and get it on the RIGHT side of the road.....YOURS!!!

Take care out there

Wind does a wonderful job of getting rid of various liability and safety issues. Unless, of course, you are just unlucky enough to be under the tree when it falls;-)

Hunderliggur said:
Wind does a wonderful job of getting rid of various liability and safety issues. Unless, of course, you are just unlucky enough to be under the tree when it falls;-)

Been thinking on how to bring this one down funny how thing works 8 degrees sunday A.M. but road side pick up for sure....

Dont sure what kind of hickory pignut?

Attachments

• hickory resize.jpg
    hickory resize.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 658
It isn't Shagbark or Shellbark, so if it is a hickory Pignut is a good guess. There are about 6 or 8 hickories, and I can't tell which one you have from the pics. I think all burn about the same, which is to say long and hot.

nice score - and hickory ta boot! sweet

How long has that thing been dead? The tap root is GONE! If it has been dead for long the wood isn't worth much.

Rob H said:
How long has that thing been dead? The tap root is GONE! If it has been dead for long the wood isn't worth much.

not sure the first time I have seen it for more than 10 years.(other than seeing it when I took a beech out this fall) I had the lawn and tree and shrub maintenance on this place for more than 10 years but that's been awhile. It has always been leaning 30 degrees toward the road. Yes the tap root snap before I could cut it down I wasn't sure how to bring it down without hitting the road but better for me that it came down on its own and didn't hit anyone or anything. This neighborhood is full of old beech and hickory.

MMMMMMMMMMM....hickory, my favorite! that and pecan. Good for the stove, good for the bbq, great for the soul! wood, its whats cooking dinner.

smokinjay said:
I had the lawn and tree and shrub maintenance on this place for more than 10 years

So yer the guy that sprayed all those chemicals that killed it huh??

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
smokinjay said:
I had the lawn and tree and shrub maintenance on this place for more than 10 years

So yer the guy that sprayed all those chemicals that killed it huh??

Funny man, no chemicals that high in the air. I and D on foundation plants only and take any branch's that fall off those monsters.
I have gotten 4 trees out of this place over the last 20 years and seem there going to be a lot more.House was built in the late 60's and the trees where large at that point I guess the age would be at-least 100 years old. There is good reasons why they ring my phone anytime there is a problem....

Rob H said:
The wood will be excellent. I don't know about hickory, but standing dead oak generally doesn't rot. Once it tips over and is resting on the ground, then it will begin to rot, but even that could take a decade before it becomes too punk to burn.

quads said:
Rob H said:
The wood will be excellent. I don't know about hickory, but standing dead oak generally doesn't rot. Once it tips over and is resting on the ground, then it will begin to rot, but even that could take a decade before it becomes too punk to burn.

It was a soild tree till the very bottom was already hollow.

Just going off my experience with standing dead hickories. I have found out that if they stand dead for over two years they are half punk and get worse exponentially after that. Maybe you'll have more luck than I have had.

Status
Not open for further replies.