Just got a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cshama

Hearth Supporter
Mar 3, 2009
ny
Stove wise its been a busy weekend for me. I just bought a Quadrafire Isle Royale wood stove- its their biggest one but it needs to heat over 3000sf with a little help of an oil heater. And today I just bought 4 cords of wood- seasoned hardwood at $175/cpord.

All in all I am psyched to be in a position to stop giving tons of my money to OPEC every winter :)

The stove will be installed at the end of december unless I can bug the installer to do it quicker.

Where in NY are you located and where were you able to get $175/cord????

Congrats on the new stove, I hope your firewood turns out to be truely seasoned and dry.

Congrats on the new stove I have there I4100 insert, and love it but the first year I got it got a cord of seasoned wood from a local guy. I had all kinds of trouble getting the fire going and when I did get it going it would blacken the glass. I thought it was me not knowing how to burn or the stove was bad. After talking to the people I bought the stove from (and they have two sales ladies or girls I should say, that know way more than I did at the time) they convinced me that my seasoned wood wasn't that seasoned. I then started getting some scrap oad and what ever I could find at work that was hard wood (we have a lot of scrap wood at work) and added that to the fire to get it good and hot then it would burn my so called seasoned wood a little bit easier, and latter in the season the wood dried out some more and was able to burn it with no problems late in the season. That first year I learned my lesson and now I get my seasoned wood earlier and let it sit for a while before burning it. If this is your first stove and never burned before, just be ready for a little frustration with your fires and read and read and read this forum it will make you smarter. Look at me I smarter already after 4 seasons. Oh, by the way, I just cut down a rotting ash about 40 ft tall was making the wedge cut to the south and before I got to the 1/3 through the trunk it fell to the nw and just missed my shed but hit my wood rack. The tree was rotting enough that it broke up as it fell and only knocked a few splits off the pile. But see how smart I am after 4 season of burning. The tree fell in the wrong direction, No Problem.

Find some good dried wood or scraps to through in with your seasoned wood and you should be fine. And hopefully your seasoned wood is seasoned.

Good luck,

Brian

Congrats on the stove purchase . . . and I'm crossing my fingers that your wood is actually seasoned . . . otherwise the first year may be a little rocky going.

Welcome fellow Isle Royal owner. You will love that stove. My beast has been running trouble free for several years now. Trying to heat 3000sqft is gonna be a chore though. As everyone else has said: hopefully the firewood you just purchased is seasoned.....but there is a good chance that it really isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.