Just got the new stove installed - Quad Mt. Vernon - and have some questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get a slight odor at startup sometimes... It was very strong immediately after installation... Less after a couple burns. Give a couple days of burn, then assess again. If the smoke smell is strong, turn the lights off in the immediate area and take a strong flashlight... As the stove starts up, about when the pot flashes over, is when it produces the largest amount of smoke in the unit... At that time, check all your seams for any leaking smoke by running the light beam around and parallel with the pipe (helps to see small wisps of smoke that you normally might not see). You can then point those areas out to your install company, who can reseat any leaks. Also consider that you might have some additional odors as your unit burns hotter. That's why I burned it off on high setting for a couple hours the first week with some windows open (after allowing the silicone seals to cure for a day or so first).
As far as pellet use, my house is over 3000 sqft. I'm in PA so my weather is close to you... I keep my setting on auto right now and temp at about 74. Weekends I maintain that all day and use about a bag total, usually staying on auto low throughout the day. The auto cycle then picks the power level up to Med or med-low to compensate when building the temp back, during the weekdays, as I have the thermo drop the temp down to 70 during the day. So, during the weekdays, I tend to use a bit less but not much. During the coldest days of the winter I usually load pellets in the morning and evening... Use about 1.5-2 bags during those days, but temps are usually very cold at night. Last year I used about 6 ton all winter... But that was a rather brutal winter...don't see it getting much worse that that again!!!

Keep an eye (or nose) on the odor when it first lights up. If you still get that in a couple of days, you may want to investigate further. May have a minor leak of exhaust somewhere... keep us posted.
Bingo. If you still have it tomorrow, I would get that dealer back out there. A smell on startup after the first few burns and first 24 hours is a leak in your vent. Maybe not a big one, but it's a leak, and you should not have it on a newly installed stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.