Just got the propane pre-buy... Ouch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moshiersr

Jan 23, 2008
Horseheads NY
47.6% increase over last years pre-buy... 2.799, Their current delivery price was 2.999 a gallon, last year's pre-buy was 1.899

I have a little over 3 cords cut, split, stacked and drying (since about april), and plan to add another 3-4 cords to that by summers end, but I chickened out and still pre-bought 400 gallons. I don't plan on using the furnace much, but there is still the dryer, cook stove and hot water running on the propane.

Last year I used 515 gallons and used the furnace about 80% of the time, but kept it around 60 in the house. This year being a newly wed the dryer use is up and so is hot water, so I figured I might as well still buy in the minimum gallons.

I burned roughly a cord and a half to two cords last year in a combination of my old stove (Fire-View monster stove, had a 7cu fire box) and my new CFM FW300010. Last years wood was pretty wet, never was stacked and got buried in snow. Not happening this year! I burned 24x7 at most a week at a time on and off all winter when I could be home.

We'll see how this year goes! I hope to have electric DHW and a wood fired convection DHW system done this winter and once the humidity breaks we'll be drying clothes inside. If all goes as planned I'll be just about completely off propane for the '09-'10 season.

Thats pro-pain! ;~) Its a nice feeling to come home to the shimmering heat coming out the chimney and knowing its 70 degrees and no one has their hand out for the heat!!!

I did the same thing except oil was the monkey on my back.....not any more. Wood stove is primary heat, electric water heater for DHW and 1/4 tank of #2 oil as back up heat with the thermostat set at 60F.

They get enough out of me for gas and my 2hr daily round trip commute (to/from work). I'll be damed if they're going to get the oil out of me too.

Was $2.40 last year here. They are currently selling at $3.50 non-prebuy. Ouch!

I recently had the Pro-PAIN company top off the tank(which they only filled to 70%). The price was $2.29, i was pretty shocked that it was that low. Of course they said the price is due to go up in a week or two. But hopefully this year we will heat with wood 90% of the time. My only other consumer of Pro-PAIN is the hot water tank, if that consumes too much this year, than next year we will be getting an electric hot water tank.

aussieblake

The center of the country always seems to have the best propane prices. We have been double their rates frequently, but that is in part due to lack of competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.