1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

JUST HAD 5 TONS OF PENNINGTON NATURES HEAT DELIVERED FROM HOME DEPOT

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by schenkp, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mullet

mullet New Member

Loc:
    VA
    schnkp, did your bags have a lot# on them? All Pennington has to do is put a thin cardboard sheet on the pallet before stacking the bags and they wouldn't have this problem with bags ripping open. I may try some Pennington's after I burn through the lignetics I got, which are the best pellets I have ever burned.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pelletizer

pelletizer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pellet County N.H.
    Mullet, I have some pennington pellets form a recent purchase but have not burned yet I will let you know my results ofter a couple of burns.

The bags I have do have a barcode at the bottom of the bag but I did not see a lot number.
  3. schenkp

schenkp New Member

Loc:
    NorthEast
    Only have burned in the fire pit for roastng marshmellows :) Its been t warm in the NE to really crank it up yet.
  4. schenkp

schenkp New Member

Loc:
    NorthEast
    They hav a bar code on them but no lot numbers that i can see? Im not to worried about the preformance after taking a beating last year they learned their lession.

Im sure hte product is good to preform well enough.

How many tons did you buy and how much did it cost you?
  5. pelletizer

Loc:
    Pellet County N.H.
    I tried to burn some last night in a grill but they did not burn to good but then again they are not meant for a grill. They smoldered a lot and sent a nice big cloud of smoke to my not so friendly cranky Neighbors.

I have 3 tons in my basement I bought them at the end of June at $224.10 / Ton Not sure what they are now.

I plan on picking up 20 more bags of other brands to test in my travels Either at Lowes, Home Depot , Walmart or a couple of stove shops in my area.
  6. pelletizer

Loc:
    Pellet County N.H.
    Here is my answer from Penninington on my concerns I just got it today.
    I am looking foward to blazing some of these Penningtons.

Good Morning,

Welcome to Pennington Seed and thank you for choosing one of our many products, we value and appreciate our customers.

Pennington Seed strives to offer quality products for their customers. Yes, we had a few issues with a very small number of our Hardwood Pellets in 2007. Pennington Seed employees have worked very hard to make sure these issues were corrected and do not happen again. We hope you will be very satisfied with our Hardwood Pellets.

Pennington Seed brand and Nature's Heat brand Hardwood Pellet information can be found at the following website www.naturesheatpellets.com

Pennington Premium Hardwood Pellets (Nature's Heat Pellets) are manufactured from oak waste products. Oak wood is native to the Midwest , makes an exceptional pellet that burns more efficiently and hotter than pellets containing soft woods (pine, for instance). Pennington Premium Hardwood Pellets produce very little smoke and has an ash content of less than 0.5%. The heating value, BTU, of Pennington Premium Hardwood Pellets (Nature's Heat) is over 8200. For these reasons, Pennington Premium Hardwood Pellets have an added value over other wood pellets.

Pennington Seed, Inc. is a member of the "Wood Pellet Institute". The guidelines that Pennington Seed uses were set by the "Wood Pellet Institute". These guidelines recommend; weight of bag to be 40 lbs. per cubic foot, fines/sawdust should not be over 0.5% per bag, heat value regulation (BTU) should be 8200, length of pellets should be no longer than 1 1/2", and moisture content of pellets.

If you have other questions, or we can be of further assistance, please call 800-658-0410 ext 187.

Thank you,

Peggy S. Gordon

Pennington Seed, Inc.

Customer Service
  7. johnnywarm

johnnywarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    i have one ton of the natures heat.we shall see.
  8. DiggerJim

DiggerJim Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northcentral Connecticut
    Don't get your hopes up prematurely - this is marketing material. Softwood pellets (containing pine for instance) tend to have higher BTU contents due to the volatiles in the wood. They also tend to burn faster as a result. But the claim that their hardwood pellets are better than ones with soft woods is not entirely truthful so suggests some doubt might be justified concerning the rest of their claims.
  9. johnnywarm

Loc:
    Connecticut
    the Pinnacle pellets i had last year with the dug-fur where the best ever. they smell like wood. smell the ones you have now.i think they smell like glue.
  10. gw2kpro

gw2kpro New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I burned almost 2 tons of Penningtons last year, they burned great for me, I didn't notice any difference between them and the ton of Energex or the ton of Firesides I burned. The Athens that I burned didn't seem to do as well in my stove -- my theory is that it really matters very little what brand you burn, the raw materials going in aren't 100% consistent so the finished product isn't going to be consistent month to month regardless of the brand.
  11. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    You burned Athens already, new company, first year.
  12. gw2kpro

gw2kpro New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    They had Athens pellets last year at Dysarts truck stop south of Bangor.
  13. pelletizer

Loc:
    Pellet County N.H.
    I know the e-mail was marketing material but I am hoping for the best I will let you all know my results.
    I think pennington said they were made of oak scraps so they would be a hardwood pellet.
    I went to Abundant life in Chichester NH on Sunday to pick up a 45 elbow and they had New England pellets in hoppers and they were a little lighter in color but the texture and length were the same as my penningtons and they broke up the same as well.
    They also had about 20 tons in the side parking lot but not sure if they were sold?
  14. pelletizer

Loc:
    Pellet County N.H.
    Schnkp and anyone else interested the pennington pellets are burning fine I have my stove running at the moment on its first burn to cure off the paint and oils.
    The Penningtons lit up within a few minutes on the auto light mode on my new Englander stove and so far so good. :)
  15. suzannegale

suzannegale New Member

Loc:
    Central NH
    Glad to hear they are burning well - I'm up in Concord and have 6 tons of the Nature's Heat too.
  16. sydney1963

sydney1963 New Member

Loc:
    Windham Maine
    Mine are burning great as well. No problemo.
  17. johnnywarm

Loc:
    Connecticut
    same here
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.