Just hit my 1 year mark since my install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srjtr7

Jan 16, 2008
Near Boston
Hi,

I just hit the 1 year mark from when I installed my stove and I thought it would be fun to write up my experience.

Installed 1/25/2008
Used it for a month or 2 then a wire melted and shorted out the controller.
Took a few months to get a new board and back up and running.
Used it on and off during the summer to take the chill out of the basement.
Left it off for a few months.
Went to clean get it ready for fall and had rust inside the chamber and on the brick plates.
Cleaned off the rust and repainted.
I have been running it on and off just fine ever since then.
Yes….I have had some problems….but overall I love the stove.

My only regret would be that I wish I knew it would not heat my upstairs. It cranks downstairs up to 80+ and the heat gets stuck at the top of the stairs.
I have tried a few fans and it does move some…but not much.

srjtr7 said:
Hi,

I just hit the 1 year mark from when I installed my stove and I thought it would be fun to write up my experience.

Installed 1/25/2008
Used it for a month or 2 then a wire melted and shorted out the controller.
Took a few months to get a new board and back up and running.
Used it on and off during the summer to take the chill out of the basement.
Left it off for a few months.
Went to clean get it ready for fall and had rust inside the chamber and on the brick plates.
Cleaned off the rust and repainted.
I have been running it on and off just fine ever since then.
Yes….I have had some problems….but overall I love the stove.

My only regret would be that I wish I knew it would not heat my upstairs. It cranks downstairs up to 80+ and the heat gets stuck at the top of the stairs.
I have tried a few fans and it does move some…but not much.

Sorry you had some problems in the beginning.
sounds like whoever installed it did not check the stove out before fire up. I always open the stove to be sure all wires are connected correctly for I dont like call backs.

Rust. Any stove that has cast and steel will rust if you have a lot of humidity in your home. We Run Evaporative coolers in our Showroom in the summer and we get some rust on any stove has been burned as a demo that does not get used as much in the summer that has cast panels in the stove.

heat out put. The empress is just under 40k BTU so it will heat around 2000 sq feet of normal insulated area. But this all depends on layout of the heating area. Any stove is not supper powered to move heat. You can put 70K BTU of heat in that area but if you cant move the air from that room to another it will only get hot in that room. it is not the stoves fault.
you need to add fans in the room to get the air to other rooms.
My own house in a long ranch 1900 sq feet when I had a Empress it was on one end of the house.
I set my stove on the #5 heat output with my stat at 72 (hi /low mode)and that is what the main part of the house stayed. but my master Bedroom was 70 feet away down with a 20 feet hallway.
so my bedroom stayed around 60deg. I added a $25 desk fan in the room my pellet stove was on top of a book case just below ceiling height blowing towards the hallway. This raised the temp of my Bedroom about 5+ deg. I also have a ceiling fan in the same room as the stove runny medium speed forward

I now have a 60K btu Omega in the same spot. Stat on On and off mode running on the #3 heat setting. heats just the same (use the same amount of pellets as the empress. Except I only clean it twice a year and not every week like I did with the Empress.

forgot to mention.
the Four seasons I burned the empress (it was the Windsor the original Empress) the only problem I had was the original burn pot was thin metal so after 2 years I replace the burn pot with the new thicker burnpot liner. 3+ tons a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.