Just installed pellet stove and am getting slight smoke from pipes, silicone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epoke

Jan 8, 2011
NH
I just installed a slightly used Harmon XXV anniversary pellet stove. When I get it going there is a very slight smoke coming from the pipes. It doesn't really smell and it is often hard to see, ususally I need a flash light to see it. I have only started it a few times and let it run for an hour so and then shut it down. I have a very thick layer of high temp silicone sealant on the pipe seems, could it be that curing? Any other thoughts of what it could be, how to fix it, or if it is nothing to worry about? Thanks so much for your help.

It could be just the oils burning off the pipe or maybe the sealer seting up.

If you used new pipe and fresh silicone, then yes it will smoke a bit until it cures. New stoves and parts have to bake off and then they're good. It gives off a distinctive metallic odor.

If the odor is one of wood, or the smoke is thick blue- it may be a leaky pipe joint or negative pressure backpuffing exhaust into your room.

Thanks guys I appreciate it. No wood odor or thick blue, just a very subtle steam/smoke look. My only concern is that with my too kids running around is that if it is silicone "setting up" is that it is nothing toxic? I have it going with my windows wide open as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.