Just ordered a big load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brant2000

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2011
Somerset, PA
I called today to see what the prospects are to get a triaxle load of logs, seeing as we still have upwards of a foot of snow or more some places around here. He said he might be able to get it to me by the weekend :) Since this year was a lot harder on my supply, I really feel like trying to get ahead this year. I'm thinking I'll probably get two triaxle loads in addition to a few pickup loads I haul out of the woods nearby.

Sounds like a good plan to me!

What's a triaxle going for in your area?

How many cords on a load?

Cool, how much for how much.....

What type of wood are you buying?

The load I got last year was $525 and I figured came pretty close to 8 cords. Definitely not as good as free wood, but a lot less work than cutting, dragging, and hauling it myself. The way I figure it, I get roughly a winter's fuel supply for what it used to cost me to heat my house for a month with my heat pump.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
What type of wood are you buying?

I'm not good at ID'ing wood, but it was most of the staples around here...maple, oak, cherry, locust.

I have scrounged, cut into rounds, dragged wood, lifted it on the truck, and brought it home to split, for many years. I recently came across a guy who is cutting some of his oak trees on 17 acres. He drops me about 11/2 to 2 cords of oak logs for $120. I have gotten about 10 to 12 cords of oak for about $720. I am thrilled! The amount of work scrounging, although free, would be a lot of work. I also figure that my next years wood, along with the oak, should pretty well set me up on a 3 to 4 year plan.

Sound like a good plan. Log loads are the way to go. It is just so much easier getting the wood laid out on stringers in your backyard.

I called today to see what the prospects are to get a triaxle load of logs, seeing as we still have upwards of a foot of snow or more some places around here. He said he might be able to get it to me by the weekend :) Since this year was a lot harder on my supply, I really feel like trying to get ahead this year. I'm thinking I'll probably get two triaxle loads in addition to a few pickup loads I haul out of the woods nearby.

Now that is wisdom! Get on the 3 year plan and you will never be sorry.

Reactions: PapaDave
Well, I'm about 2 weeks and probably about 2/3 through splitting the first load.

Attachments

• DSC_0143.jpg
    DSC_0143.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC_0145.jpg
    DSC_0145.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 361
  • DSC_0152.jpg
    DSC_0152.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 358
Looking good. Big mix of trees there. Looks like you have at least some sugar maple, beech, oak and cherry in that load.

Looking good. Big mix of trees there. Looks like you have at least some sugar maple, beech, oak and cherry in that load.

Yep, you're exactly right on the flavors in there. I think there was also a poplar or two, but that was about it.

Here's where I am after finishing up with the first triaxle. The second one's been ordered and should hopefully be here within a week or two. I got just about 14, 6.5' pickup loads filled to the point where most logs thrown on the top would just fall off. Figuring about 1/2 cord each, there was about 7 cord in the triaxle load.

Attachments

• DSC_0164.jpg
    DSC_0164.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 228
Good job on the wood! Looks like you have a lot of btu's just waiting to volunteer for keeping you warm... (another time)

You did great IMHO! This tells me I need to find a good source that can deliver to the Lewiston, Michigan area (S.E. of Gaylord). I have plenty of wood cut up down state but the fuel cost to get it up here would be out of sight! Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Don

Well, I would start by searching the web/phone books for any loggers. Around my area it is pretty typical for wood heated homes to get log loads delivered. There are probably 6 that usually get a load at least every other year within a mile of me. This year I paid $550 for the first load and got a quote from another logger for $600. He also said he was about 2 months behind, so maybe others know that his loads are worth the extra $50. Figuring what I got out of it, it came out to just about $40 per heaped 6.5' pickup load.

The second load is supposedly on the truck and will be delivered this evening. My neighbors are definitely going to think I'm crazy. I think they were glad to see the first load all cleaned up.

Reactions: bobdog2o02
Well, load number two was delivered yesterday. I think this should bring me up to a solid 16 full cord and at least 2 harsh winters worth. I felt so much satisfaction in finishing up the first load...now I feel like I'm right back where I started.

Attachments

• DSC_0172.jpg
    DSC_0172.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 132
I'm getting close enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I believe I've hauled about 27 pick up loads already and have about 4 left to go. There's two full rows about 115' long, a small third row I started, and the holz...which I figured would help out to hide the uglies.

DSC_0008.JPG

Impressive. Even more so when that was all done with just the Fiskars.

That looks amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.