just picked up a new splitter - BROKEN ALREADY!!! - RUNNING AGAIN!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Been looking for a used one forever, but the seem really high on price. So, I pulled the trigger on a new 22 ton from TSC. Got a cord of oak uglies I'm going to try it on tonight.

Most of what I've been cutting lately is elm...and this will allow me to do longer pieces than with just a maul.

Gotta love hydraulics on elm.

Gotta love spllitters, period.

Oak is surprisingly easy wood to split, generally. Pretty straight grain, not a million branches...my 5 ton electric eats 16" diameter 20" long rounds all day long without bogging. The 22 ton won't even notice it.

I really like splitting easy/medium stuff (like oak) by hand...and will continue to do so. The oak I'm describing (all crotches and knots left over) laughs at a sledge and wedge as does some of the hedge I've been cutting lately. I'm not spending 10 minutes on one round anymore.

My new cutting ground is loaded with all the dead read elm and hedge I could ever want but it doesn't peel right apart like oak/cherry/ash/walnut does. If I have to hit it more than 3 times to get it to pop apart that's where the enjoyment ends for me.

Manually splitting when a hydraulic splitter's available is...
like whippin' potatoes with a masher when a ninja's nearby (the blender thing, not the katana-wielding type!).
like using smoke signals when a computer's nearby.
like using a screwdriver when an impact driver's ready to go.

S

thinkxingu said:
like whippin' potatoes with a masher when a ninja's nearby (the blender thing, not the katana-wielding type!).

S

Oh, oh . . . I can play this game too.

Like loading up a covered wagon to go off on vacation instead of taking the RV.

Like taking a horse and buggy into town to pick up supplies instead of the pick up.

Like using a crosscut handsaw to cut the 2 x 4 instead of the electric circular saw.

firefighterjake said:
thinkxingu said:

S

Like taking a horse and buggy into town to pick up supplies instead of the pick up.

Like using a crosscut handsaw to cut the 2 x 4 instead of the electric circular saw.

Like paying for a gym membership to use weights and do cardio when there's a splitter and pile of nice wood laying in the yard.

lukem said:
firefighterjake said:
thinkxingu said:

S

Like paying for a gym membership to use weights and do cardio when there's a splitter and pile of nice wood laying in the yard.

Like reading hearthdotcom when all the p0rn in the world is just one google search away.
BAAHAhaha :lol:

lukem said:
Been looking for a used one forever, but the seem really high on price. So, I pulled the trigger on a new 22 ton from TSC. Got a cord of oak uglies I'm going to try it on tonight.

Most of what I've been cutting lately is elm...and this will allow me to do longer pieces than with just a maul.

Be veeeerryyyyyy careful wid da elm...it's a huskee killah I tell yah!!!<shudder>

Ed
Distributor for “Ode de’ Slipper Elm†sachets

Jags said:
lukem said:
firefighterjake said:
thinkxingu said:

S

Like reading hearthdotcom when all the p0rn in the world is just one google search away.
BAAHAhaha :lol:
Like using corn cobs when there's Charmin sittin' there.....

Ran about a quarter tank of gas thru it before it broke. The coupling between the crankshaft and the pump is done for. Grr.

It is beginning to sound like TSC had best be looking at their quality control system... This is terrible to find so many bad splitters being sold.

any pics? Is this the same thing that happened to Intheswamps splitter?

If so, is this a TSC/assembly issue or a Huskee problem?

Exmasonite said:

Looks exactly the same as intheswamp's pic.

I don't know how I missed that thread earlier or I would have checked the connection before firing it up.

I'll ask them tomorrow about assembly and report back.

Backwoods Savage said:
It is beginning to sound like TSC had best be looking at their quality control system... This is terrible to find so many bad splitters being sold.

According to the manual, there are only five parts to assemble....two wheels, a tank/engine assembly, a tongue assembly, and a beam/ram assembly. I believe the engine and tank are already assembled and thus the coupling is already assembled.

I don't think this one can be attributed to TSC though I wish it could be...I believe it's a Huskee issue. I've notified the Speeco rep and hope he will join the discussion, he is a good, upfront type of guy. He probably won't see my email until in the morning.

TSC (not the Greenville store) was assembling one for me tonight...I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow evening. I've gotta think this over a bit more now since lukem has had the same experience as I had.

I wrote more but deleted it, it wasn't constructive...

Ed

ETA: Add image of parts of splitter to assemble.
22-tonAssemMedium.jpg

lukem said:
Exmasonite said:

I don't know how I missed that thread earlier or I would have checked the connection before firing it up.

You probably wouldn't have noticed anything that caused alarm if you had checked the connection out. The way I understand it is that somebody apparently didn't tighten the set screw for the lovejoy on the pump shaft enough and/or didn't use loctite on the set screw. The set screw loosened up, the lovejoy on the pump slid down the shaft and the two opposing couplers destroyed each other...the spider gear was ripped up in the short period of clashing fingers.

It can be fixed with two lovejoys and a spider gear...about $30 worth of parts from TSC...but it shouldn't have torn up that quick and a customer shouldn't have to wait to have a brand new $1K machine repaired.

Ed

Intheswamp said:
lukem said:
Exmasonite said:

You probably wouldn't have noticed anything that caused alarm if you had checked the connection out. The way I understand it is that somebody apparently didn't tighten the set screw for the lovejoy on the pump shaft enough and/or didn't use loctite on the set screw. The set screw loosened up, the lovejoy on the pump slid down the shaft and the two opposing couplers destroyed each other...the spider gear was ripped up in the short period of clashing fingers.

It can be fixed with two lovejoys and a spider gear...about $30 worth of parts from TSC...but it shouldn't have torn up that quick and a customer shouldn't have to wait to have a brand new $1K machine repaired.

Ed

I emailed customer service at Speeco per your suggestion. Thanks for the contact info.

I called the TSC where I bought the splitter and the gentleman who sold me the splitter answered the phone. I described the situation. He said he has parts in stock and will fix the issue today. Can't argue with that.

Too bad you couldn't get the same results intheswamp.

lukem said:
I called the TSC where I bought the splitter and the gentleman who sold me the splitter answered the phone. I described the situation. He said he has parts in stock and will fix the issue today. Can't argue with that.

If you have an intricately designed and beautiful vase and it's filled with half dead poison ivy it will not seem very nice. But, if you have a plain jane, dull, weathered, blah vase and fill it full of daffodils then it will be a thing of beauty and admired. So it is with a lot of these big box stores. I'm glad you're getting it worked out so quickly. Like I mentioned in an earlier post (maybe in another thread), I think the splitter is ok and just a QC issue...it was what was in the vase that left me with a bad taste in my mouth. If I go ahead and pick up this splitter today I will have a short talk with the manager or whoever before I leave. They will be aware of the problem and the connection will be checked before leaving with the splitter. ;)

BTW...what wood species were you splitting when it made that dreaded noise?

Best wishes,
Ed

Intheswamp said:
lukem said:

Best wishes,
Ed

That was the odd part..I was splitting a pretty "easy" piece of white oak...and had only gotten the wedge about 1/16" into the round when it gave out. Prior to that I was splitting some extremely nasty pieces of white oak and hedge that challenged the splitter.

lukem said:
Intheswamp said:
lukem said:

Best wishes,
Ed

That was the odd part..I was splitting a pretty "easy" piece of white oak...and had only gotten the wedge about 1/16" into the round when it gave out. Prior to that I was splitting some extremely nasty pieces of white oak and hedge that challenged the splitter.

That is interesting. I had been splitting some of that $*(&*#(!!! elm and was on the last round...I had taken a break (splitter had been working fine, though like you said...struggling a bit) and cranked the machine up...engaged the ram...wedge went into the round maybe 1/4", made a bad racket and that was it.

Ed

The Speeco guy promptly replied to my email with a local authorized repair shop.

Well, I doubt that the difficulty of the wood really had much to do with the failure. The failure of an improperly adjusted lovejoy is inevitable - it is nothing more than time. You probably could have left the same machine sit at idle for an hour or two and had the same failure. Just say'in.

Jags said:
Well, I doubt that the difficulty of the wood really had much to do with the failure. The failure of an improperly adjusted lovejoy is inevitable - it is nothing more than time. You probably could have left the same machine sit at idle for an hour or two and had the same failure. Just say'in.

I understand what you're saying. As for as adjusting/checking the lovejoys...what should the novice look for in regards to shaft end clearances, tightness of set screws, etc.,.?

Thanks,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.