just picked up a new splitter - BROKEN ALREADY!!! - RUNNING AGAIN!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Intheswamp said:
Jags said:
Well, I doubt that the difficulty of the wood really had much to do with the failure. The failure of an improperly adjusted lovejoy is inevitable - it is nothing more than time. You probably could have left the same machine sit at idle for an hour or two and had the same failure. Just say'in.

I understand what you're saying. As for as adjusting/checking the lovejoys...what should the novice look for in regards to shaft end clearances, tightness of set screws, etc.,.?

Thanks,
Ed

For tightness - tighten them down till they snap off, then back it off a quarter of a turn. :lol:

Really, about as much as the allen wrench will allow. In other words - give it heck.

End clearances should be almost touching - but not. About the thickness of a matchbook cover apart (~20 thousandths ).

Jags said:
Intheswamp said:
Jags said:
Well, I doubt that the difficulty of the wood really had much to do with the failure. The failure of an improperly adjusted lovejoy is inevitable - it is nothing more than time. You probably could have left the same machine sit at idle for an hour or two and had the same failure. Just say'in.

I understand what you're saying. As for as adjusting/checking the lovejoys...what should the novice look for in regards to shaft end clearances, tightness of set screws, etc.,.?

Thanks,
Ed

For tightness - tighten them down till they snap off, then back it off a quarter of a turn. :lol:

Really, about as much as the allen wrench will allow. In other words - give it heck.

End clearances should be almost touching - but not. About the thickness of a matchbook cover apart (~20 thousandths ).

Thanks for shaing...I'll make sure to check it out.

New coupling has been installed. Checked the set screws and tolerance and everything appears OK. Ran it through 5 or 10 rounds and checked it again. I'll keep an eye on it for a few more sessions and call it good.

lukem said:
New coupling has been installed. Checked the set screws and tolerance and everything appears OK. Ran it through 5 or 10 rounds and checked it again. I'll keep an eye on it for a few more sessions and call it good.

Good for you!!! Yelp, I'd keep an eye on it...wouldn't be a bad thing to check when we change out hydraulic filters or do oil changes for the engine.

The one I was going to pick up today "wouldn't prime" so I'm put off until Thursday which is fine since we're supposed to have heavy thunderstorms tomorrow.

Ed

My 28 ton has been fine. But I did just change oil and hydro filter. As per some posts on this forum, I checked my hydro level and found that the unit was not filled to proper level. It took a full gallon before it read properly on the dipstick. Check yours! If it were light, I bet you would get a gallon for free after that problem you just went through.

Status
Not open for further replies.