Just picked up this beauty and need suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are y'all whiners?

As a new wood burner, I've read hundreds of posts on this forum. My experience has been that the moderators and long time members have a pretty good idea of what is safe and what is not. I don't mean to give you a hard time, but if their advice sounds like whining, maybe you need to listen a little more carefully. They want to you heat with wood AND stay alive to enjoy the comfort and savings.

Reactions: bobdog2o02
Sorry it just doesn't look safe or well thought out. Maybe it could work to heat your house fine and save you money,but if you burned down the house and I don't see an insurance company would give you a dime...

What about flue gases getting into house via the pipe you direct connected into you air ducts

Last edited:
I dont have a problem connecting to the ducts as long as it is done to code did you check on that? That flex duct is way to close at best it is going to melt out of the way at worst it will catch fire and with the blower on will spread fumes through the house. And the galvanized elbow coming off the stove needs to be changed to black pipe you don't want it off gassing and getting spread everywhere either

Last edited:
I dont have a problem connecting to the ducts as long as it is done to code did you check on that? That flex duct is way to close at best it is going to melt out of the way at worst it will catch fire and with the blower on will spread fumes through the house. And the galvanized elbow coming off the stove needs to be changed to black pipe you don't want it off gassing and getting spread everywhere either

Right I can change that elbow. This good advice.
As far as the return plenum it's been that way for 15 years with a different woodstove there.
I can't so anything about it, it's tied up the best it can be.

Also I'm not sure everyone on board understands that new stove is double chambered which has a blower on the bottom to distribute warm air somewhere .
The collar on top is meant to be ducted .

YEs we do understand that but there are still codes to be followed as far as how far it needs to be noncombustible ducting where you can tap into what type of damper ect. That stove was built for that purpos but i doubt that it is ul listed so that means that there was no officail testing done on it so airing on the side of caution is a good idea. And get that return duct away from the vent pipe it needs to be 18"

You guys are right I need to make sure especially for my family that it is up to firecode I guess I can try to find out online or maybe call the fire department and ask

18 inches ok. I might have to reroute it a little differently to see if I can get that out of it. I am dedicated to Burningwood I want to burn it properly and safely.
And about this woodstove at a really good deal because it had a blower on it and a duct tap.

If I can get it to meet all the codes then that's great otherwise looks like I might try for a wood insert in my fireplace upstairs

Last edited:
My local code

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 157
I am sure you can meet all the codes with it you should check with your insurance company to about whether or not they are ok with an unlisted stove.

I am sure you can meet all the codes with it you should check with your insurance company to about whether or not they are ok with an unlisted stove.
Apparently they are.
This actually is my moms house she doesn't live here we are in process of buying, she's had a woodstove for many years in this basment and she hasn't had any problems.
Also I just bought a lot of firebricks and lined the inside as well and tied the return plenum back as far as I could.
It's almost 18" back from the flue

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 156
Almost is not good enough

Now quit badgering the guy he is trying and has begun to listen to advice no need to try to scare him. But you really need to follow code to the t almost is not good enough

And dustin you really need to research the code requirements on ducting of unlisted solid fuel stoves into your duct work and follow that code carefully there is a big potential for problems here

Reactions: bobdog2o02
And dustin you really need to research the code requirements on ducting of unlisted solid fuel stoves into your duct work and follow that code carefully there is a big potential for problems here
Problems with legalities you mean ?

No just look up all of the requirements like an automatic fire damper Distance from the appliance that duct needs to be non combustible ect. They are legal issues but those codes are there for a very good reason and that is safety

I've been searching for hour and can't find these local codes and requirments. Found a State Farm insurance paper application for a woodstove.
Can ya tell me where to find better info?
Should I call my fire dept and ask to speak to a fire Marshall, does he have to come to my house?

I pulled a code book at work and found some things about wood stoves, very little though.
Basically just clearance

your local code office there is a section on it in nfpa 211 i just don't have it here with me. The problem is fire and fumes can spread very quickly through the ducts if something goes wrong it can be done but caution is needed

If something goes wrong you will die from the smoke, not the fire. If you accelerate the movement of the smoke you will accelerate your exposure to it........

I'll ride by the fire dept and talk with the Marshall and get his take in this and hopefully get this squared away .

The fire marshal may or may not know. I have dealt with some that were very good and some that where so old school it was ridiculous The one near us when we wnt ot his house to clean his chimney we found a single wall bare pipe as the chimney 1/2" from the outside wall when we said it wasnt safe he said well its metal how could the fire get out.

I agree with bholler about the fire Marshall, their job is more about building occupancy and use along with general life safety like panic bars on doors and fire escapes. Your local code enforcement is more likely to have better guidance. If you are remote enough to not have permits and code officials find the next closest town that does and ask them.

Status
Not open for further replies.