Just saying, origins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Today I learned the meaning of the old saying: "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" and it was not anything like I would have thought.The origin is from the days of sailing ships and cannonballs.

"In the heyday of sailing ships, all war ships and many freighters carried iron cannons. Those cannon fired round iron cannon balls. It was necessary to keep a good supply near the cannon. But how to prevent them from rolling about the deck? The best storage method devised was a square based pyramid with one ball on top, resting on four resting on nine which rested on sixteen. Thus, a supply of thirty cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon. There was only one problem -- how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding/rolling from under the others. The solution was a metal plate called a "Monkey" with sixteen round indentations. But, if this plate was made of iron, the iron balls would quickly rust to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make "Brass Monkeys." Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled. Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey. Thus, it was quite literally, "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!""

What other interesting sayings do you know the origins of?

Reactions: fox9988 and ScotO
Here's one--

catty-corner – directional word, meaning that something is diagonally across from something else–another “cat” word that has nothing to do with cats. Originally cater-corner. The cater is from an English dialect word meaning “to set or move diagonally.” Because that cater dropped out of the language, folk etymology got busy and now we have all kinds of “cat” variants for this concept:
catty-cornered
kitty-corner
kitty-cornered
catty-corner
cat-a-corner
kitty-corner
kit-a-corner

Reactions: fox9988
balls to the wall, or balls out - from the certigugal governing system on steam engines...as the engines increased in spead the weighted balls on the governer would swing outward. At maximum the balls would be horizontal (mounted on a vertical shaft)....balls out.

Today I learned the meaning of the old saying: "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" and it was not anything like I would have thought.The origin is from the days of sailing ships and cannonballs.

"In the heyday of sailing ships, all war ships and many freighters carried iron cannons. Those cannon fired round iron cannon balls. It was necessary to keep a good supply near the cannon. But how to prevent them from rolling about the deck? The best storage method devised was a square based pyramid with one ball on top, resting on four resting on nine which rested on sixteen. Thus, a supply of thirty cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon. There was only one problem -- how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding/rolling from under the others. The solution was a metal plate called a "Monkey" with sixteen round indentations. But, if this plate was made of iron, the iron balls would quickly rust to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make "Brass Monkeys." Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled. Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey. Thus, it was quite literally, "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!""

What other interesting sayings do you know the origins of?

That's an urban legend- sorry :)

So it's just a good story. Ah well. I was wondering why they wouldn't just keep the cannonballs in a box or a rack.

Here's another one:

Wrong End of the Stick

It is a popular belief that in Roman times, where sewage systems were quite advanced, toilet paper had not been invented yet. So, a long wooden stick, with a sponge on one end, was used to wipe fecal matter off the bottoms of Romans. The sponge and stick were used numerous times by different people. (Deadly diseases weren’t discovered or known about at the time.) If one grabbed the stick by the wrong end, they would accidentally get the fecal matter from all those people on their hands. The birth of the phrase “grabbing the stick from the wrong end” occurred during this period.

11 Surprisingly Bizarre Origins of Common Sayings | Suite101.com
http://suite101.com/article/11-surprisingly-bizarre-origins-of-common-sayings-a256252#ixzz21rQXDVuJ

"GAMMA rays are from GaMaL in that the third Greek letter is named for Hebrew's 3rd letter, the GIMEL, which is named for the GAMAL (camel)"

"GAMMA rays are from GaMaL in that the third Greek letter is named for Hebrew's 3rd letter, the GIMEL, which is named for the GAMAL (camel)"

Holy frig...ya learn something new everyday...I did not even know that....;em

camel....;lol;lol;lol

I like the spiritual meaning better:

Our Sages teach that the gimel symbolizes a rich man running after a poor man, the dalet, to give him charity. The word gimel is derived from the word gemul, which in Hebrew means both the giving of reward as well as the giving of punishment. In Torah, both reward and punishment have the same ultimate aim the rectification of the soul to merit to receive God's light to the fullest extent.

http://www.inner.org/hebleter/gimmel.htm

balls to the wall, or balls out - from the certigugal governing system on steam engines...as the engines increased in spead the weighted balls on the governer would swing outward. At maximum the balls would be horizontal (mounted on a vertical shaft)....balls out.
They utilize this methodology also in Prop governors in airplanes. Cool!

"and the whole 9 yards"

The length of the WWII aircraft machine gun belts. "So I gave them the whole 9 yards..."

I will give a digital dollar to anybody that can verify or come up with the answer for:
"a stitch in time saves 9"

Status
Not open for further replies.