Just shut off the oil-fired boiler!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
You know we have kept the Auto-del. contract because we get sonic testing for our oil tank, and only pay $125 per annum for a service contract. but these people won`t deliver when it is an affordable bill. just dipped our tank, (not filled last year) and I can see when they fill it, it will be 600 litres-or cost with taxes about $750. Now, I just know they are going to wait till next June to fill it. Well, surprise, surprise. I just shut it off. I know I`m a bit slow, but finally figuraed out that using the (wood insert) on the first level and the propane insert on the 3RD level works out to be zone heating" cheaper and much more comfortable." And before you guys jump all over me for not heating entirely with wood. Well, I wanted a stove on the 3rd level, but the better half doesn`t like the dust and crap that goes with it . You can go on other forums and they will explain that oil gives you better bucks for the BTU vallue. Except when it comes to "zone heating" and in our case -wood and propane combined are much better value..Anyone else get pissed off, about the oil companies waiting for maximum profit before they come to fill your tank? Wood heat, and more wood heat. and my propane insert for the booster effect, and that`s it. No more damn oil , --and ya know that when I kick in the propane insert on the 3rd level to get the temp up to 72f, only takes about an hour and a half, then the wood heat will maintane it for the most part. Has taking me a long time to learn this , but seems like zone heating is the way to go.

Sure does feel great, doesn't it? Our gas-fired boiler has not been on yet this winter and we love it. The little insert keeps us a nice 70-75 all the time.

If its FHW you need to put anti-freeze in system

might want to remember that the local guy is paying increased prices as well - i did a lot of reading on an oil forum when i needed a new fhw burner and these guys get the brunt of the customer complaints when oil prices are high BUT their profit is not going up - they pay more in oil just like you and me and they pay more in gas to deliver the oil. in the end you're hurting not only BIG oil but the local guy too

oh and if you run out for some reason some companies will not provide a service contract if you are not on auto-delivery and you'll have to pay for a prime, clean out..

in the scale of things us wood burners us much less oil then other folks - what do you think the extra cost is even at .10 a gallon? 10 gallons at 10 cents more equals 1 dollar so 100 gallons = ten bucks?

maybe your local has something ours that lists all the oil prices in your area and you can shop by price

http://www.newenglandoil.com/

Just get off automatic delivery. We did that years ago with propane. If your needs are low, fill up the tank in the spring/summer or whenever there is a dip in prices.

FWIW, it's good to run these systems once in awhile. You never know when you will be sick or called away and need a reliable source of heat.

BeGreen said:
Just get off automatic delivery. We did that years ago with propane. If your needs are low, fill up the tank in the spring/summer or whenever there is a dip in prices.

FWIW, it's good to run these systems once in awhile. You never know when you will be sick or called away and need a reliable source of heat.
Yes, I am going to make the call today to cancel auto del. I have actually turned it back on, was 13c or about 54F upstairs this morning. Not that we can`t stand the chill, but have to think about mold. That is a problem with a multi-level split,without central heat, it`s difficult to reach the entire home with heat. So the "old beast" will still fire-up during the middle of the night, and I will wait till late spring to order a delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.