Just swept my chimney for the first time...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John-Eddie

Jan 16, 2013
Dover, NH
www.hytronix.com
Hi All,

You may have seen my thread from yesterday, in which I was wondering (although doubting) that I had had a chimney fire. Since I bought a Gardus chimney brush a few weeks ago, I figured, what the heck - may as well bust that sucker out and clean the chimney, since I got a break in the weather for a while...

First of all, that thing was VERY easy to use. Impressed.

Secondly, I was wondering what I should have expected to get out of the chimney, and what it might say about my burning habits or the wood I'm using, etc.

First, here's "the pile" I got. This is from a 6" stainless liner in a 30' chimney that was installed last January, and I've put about two cord through it since. This is the first cleaning. I'd say it's less than a gallon pail full. It's jet black, has tons of really shiny bits in it, and came out very easily. It was also just about 100% dust-free.

So, can anyone "read creosote" and offer any suggestions? Or does this look pretty normal?

Thanks,

-JE

soot.JPG

Looks like the cleaning was timely. I would keep doing it for every 1-2 cords burned unless you are starting to get 3 yrs ahead on the wood supply

Looks like the cleaning was timely. I would keep doing it for every 1-2 cords burned unless you are starting to get 3 yrs ahead on the wood supply

Thanks. So you're saying that looks "pretty dirty" for a couple cords burned? Also, like wood was pretty green? The first 1/2 cord from last season was only 1-year dry, for part of it, and this year, it's two-year dry stuff I've been using.

-JE

It's not really the amount...it's the type. That black stuff contains a fair amount of potential fuel.

OK cool. I have 2-year dry stuff to get through this winter, I'll just sweep again after the next cord.

Thanks,

-JE

John-Eddie, you did well to clean the chimney and now you know how so you won't hesitate the next time.

I think what you got was not critical yet but could become so soon. If you can get to the point where the only thing you get is the gray or white fly ash and some brown soot, your problems are over.

In case you are wondering, we did clean our chimney this fall and got close to a quart. That is with 4 years burning.

As others have mentioned; for a 30 foot chimney the volume of what you got looks to be alright. It's the type of material you got that is slightly concerning. I think you have stage 2 creosote..there are 3 stages. My understanding is that when the flakes shine they contain tar. Stage 1 is loose and contains mostly soot (I found it has the consistency of cornstarch). Stage 2 is what I see in your picture. Stage 3 is the gunky, tar like covering of the chimney walls that can easily ignite and is hard to remove.

Happy Burning!

Andrew

A long tall chimney is going to need cleaning more frequently due to the cooling that occurs on that long journey to the top. Burn dry wood to keep this reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.