Just Tired of Craigs List so I posted this.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Re: Free Tree Removal (Central Mass)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-05-13, 8:29PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is going to get flagged pretty quick, but perhaps the flaggers can read this until the end and the choose to flag.
For all you folks that want a tree company to come in for free...and drop your 3 oaks leaning directly over a power line, you are out of your goard.
You want people to be insured, to clean up after the mess, to take your prized spruce tree for free that is located in between your house and neighbors house with 10 feet of clearance....out of your mind
Not even in the business, but where should I start.
Tree companies have one of the highest Workers Compensations Rates in the Industry.
Liability insurance is very high as well....imagine the cost incurred when someone drops a tree on your house, and what the Ins company has to pay out.
Gas/Fuel to travel to your location
Most mills have shut down, so they can't do much with crap trees of spruce and pine.. tree service has to pay to dispose of them.
Equipment is very/very expensive...try to gas up a 40,000 lb vehicle with a boom attached.....you guys are bitching about gassin up your hybrid lexus....try a 1988 GMC that gets 6 mpg.
If you want something for free, don't demand anything unless you are ready to dish out some cash for the $$ these folks deserve.

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1739760977

You tell 'em! Who knows, maybe at least one person will get it. I wrote a fake CL ad a while back in protest of that kind of crap. Something like, "I need my tree dropped, next to the house, must be licensed and bonded, you keep the wood. Also, need oil changed, must be ASE certified and do the work in your own shop, you keep the oil. Also, I have a polyp..."

daveswoodhauler said:
Re: Free Tree Removal (Central Mass)

Date: 2010-05-13, 8:29PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

This is going to get flagged pretty quick, but perhaps the flaggers can read this until the end and the choose to flag.
For all you folks that want a tree company to come in for free...

If you want something for free, don't demand anything unless you are ready to dish out some cash for the $$ these folks deserve.

Right on. But those bozos are still going to want you to haul out their rotting brush for free. Show some gratitude. :lol:

Or he could just read the first post...

The follow up post was basically one from a homeowner who hired a tree company to take down a few large trees.
The poster went on to say how hard the job is, how hard they worked, how they had to use various pieces of equipment, etc...
Basically, it wwas a post from a homeowner showing folks that the tree service can't work for wood.

I have an dying oak I would gladly pay $200.00 to have droped. Maybe I can get someone on craigs list to do it for free. lol here's a picture of the trunk and my helper.

Attachments

• seth and tree.jpg
    seth and tree.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 414
woodsmaster said:
I have an dying oak I would gladly pay $200.00 to have droped. Maybe I can get someone on craigs to do it for free. lol here's a picture of the trunk and my helper.

Looks like you have plenty of space there behind it to drop it at least... come on DIY and make a video of it while you are at it :)

woodsmaster said:
I have an dying oak I would gladly pay $200.00 to have droped. Maybe I can get someone on craigs to do it for free. lol here's a picture of the trunk and my helper.

where abouts in nw Ohio?

smokinjay said:
woodsmaster said:

where abouts in nw Ohio?

Near Defiance or about 45 min. east of fort wayne indiana. Power lines and road on one side of tree but leaning towards field. Found a couple hollow spots but don't Know how big they are

Slow1 said:
woodsmaster said:

Looks like you have plenty of space there behind it to drop it at least... come on DIY and make a video of it while you are at it :)

If it fell the wrong way it may reach the house, power lines, or road. Think I'll leave this one to the pros. have a friend in the logging bis that owes me a favor. Think I'll see if he will do it, but it's going to
have to wait till next year becouse i'm to busy to clean it up right now.

woodsmaster said:
smokinjay said:
woodsmaster said:

where abouts in nw Ohio?

Near Defiance or about 45 min. east of fort wayne indiana. Power lines and road on one side of tree but leaning towards field. Found a couple hollow spots but don't Know how big they are

your about an hour and a half from me. It needs to be winch down to make sure it hits the right landing zone. Oak will have enough wood that the hollow spots should not be an issue. As big as that tree is 200.00 to drop it about right but to buck up the trunk and flush cut the stump would be more. looks like a job for the 880!

I've been in the tree business since 1978 and only recently retired and selling off the equipment. I've watched the diffrent trends with customers over the years. In the 80's seven out of ten customers would give the crew a good tip at the end of the day and thank them for the good job and all the hard work they done for them. Early to mid 90's maybe three out of ten customers would tip the crews and thank them for a hard job well done. From around the late 90's on is when things seemed to change. The first few times I recieved calls from a customers wanting me to remove a tree next to their home for free and the firewood from the tree was to be my payment , I was polite and tried to explain the cost of equipment and other expenses associated with running a tree service, only to be told that they could care less what my company expenses were. As more such calls started coming in I was still polite and told them if the wood was worth so much money we will gladly leave it in your yard and you can get rich selling it versus our company having to load it, haul it away and pay to dump. It finally got to the point where I just told the caller that they were stupid to expect a company to perform a service for nothing . One could argue that it's the changing economy , but tend to believe that most of the younger generations have no idea what hard work is and have an over all since of entitlement thinking that life and everyone in it owes them something for free.

A sincere thank you for posting a craigslist add letting these sorry excuses for people know that the world owes them nothing.

The cost of my chipper and stump grinder alone was over $70,000.00 when I purchased them , so excuse me if I refuse to work for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. If you know of anyone looking to purchase some tree equipment contact me , and no the equipment isn't free.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• DSC00927.jpg
    DSC00927.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC00933.jpg
    DSC00933.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 329
westside said:
I've been in the tree business since 1978 and only recently retired and selling off the equipment. I've watched the diffrent trends with customers over the years. In the 80's seven out of ten customers would give the crew a good tip at the end of the day and thank them for the good job and all the hard work they done for them. Early to mid 90's maybe three out of ten customers would tip the crews and thank them for a hard job well done. From around the late 90's on is when things seemed to change. The first few times I recieved calls from a customers wanting me to remove a tree next to their home for free and the firewood from the tree was to be my payment , I was polite and tried to explain the cost of equipment and other expenses associated with running a tree service, only to be told that they could care less what my company expenses were. As more such calls started coming in I was still polite and told them if the wood was worth so much money we will gladly leave it in your yard and you can get rich selling it versus our company having to load it, haul it away and pay to dump. It finally got to the point where I just told the caller that they were stupid to expect a company to perform a service for nothing . One could argue that it's the changing economy , but tend to believe that most of the younger generations have no idea what hard work is and have an over all since of entitlement thinking that life and everyone in it owes them something for free.

A sincere thank you for posting a craigslist add letting these sorry excuses for people know that the world owes them nothing.

The cost of my chipper and stump grinder alone was over $70,000.00 when I purchased them , so excuse me if I refuse to work for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. If you know of anyone looking to purchase some tree equipment contact me , and no the equipment isn't free.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What part of Indiana you from looks like south?

westside said:

Just had to say while I'm not looking at buying a chipper, I've always thought it would be fun to run one for a few hours . . . the whole idea of being able to toss in large branches and have them chipped to bits is pretty darned appealing. If I had one I would get in trouble though . . . I'd first chip every branch and small tree on my property and then I would most likely start to look around at whatever else I could toss through the chipper to see what would happen. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.