1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Just uncovered all my 14 stacks.

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Paulywalnut, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Thought I would try something different this year. Letting the wind and warmer sun penetrate the top
    layers of my stacks. I've always kept them covered all year. Can't hurt and it looks a lot cooler with no covering.:)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Uh oh.
    Naked wood.
  3. Paulywalnut

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Yep, Maybe until October or so.
  4. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    I don't think it'll make too much difference either way. Tops might get wetter, but will get more sun. What kind of wood is it?
  5. Paulywalnut

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Lots of mixed hardwood. Most is locust and red oak. Mulberry and osage is the rest.
  6. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

I cover the stacks through the winter and spring and un cover them through the summer and fall. By cover I mean just the tops to keep water from going down into the stacks and soaking or freezing into the wood. Wood depending on species can be a little spungy in the spring and to be honest it dries out very fast after a rain. You don't really even need to cover the tops but I personally think it helps a bit.

Pete
  7. JoeyD

JoeyD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Jersey
    I leave my stacks uncovered for 12-18 months depending on the weather. Wood that was split and stacked 12 months ago is waiting to be covered now but I'll wait until it has been dry at least two weeks before I cover them. I like to have a cover for at least 18 months before I burn but a lot depends on the weather. My wood consists of almost all oak with some black locust, cherry and mulberry. Right now I am splitting my 2016-2017 supply. It feels good knowing I am set for at least 3 years.
    ScotO likes this.
  8. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    I leave what ever I stack during the spring/summer uncovered until October or so.

Unless it's pine, then I top cover it only, gotta get them puppies dried out, quick :p
  9. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Pictures of topless wood stacks ? :eek:
  10. Paulywalnut

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    I tried, the computer wouldn't let me post it;)
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    No harm unless you have some long rain spells which the east seems to get lots of. Around here, we split and stack in the spring and leave the stacks uncovered until late fall or early winter. Have done that for years with good results. I think leaving the top uncovered in the summer months allows for more evaporation of moisture.
    Paulywalnut and Pallet Pete like this.
  12. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Mine stay out in the breeze free willie year round other than what I think I may need that winter. I just don't like snow coming into the house on the splits. Seems to be working but time will tell if I need to change my technique.
  13. katwillny

katwillny Guest

I never cover my stacks, i think it looks better neked.