Just when I think we've got it all figured out, another issue with the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With an OAK and good seals, you should not smell the stove. I agree with Warren - check ash pan seal.

Air blowing into the exhaust will cause positive pressure within the stove, albeit slight, it can be enough for air to overcome the seals, even if they are in good working order.

Have you explored other possibilities like a little smoke could be entering your homes envelope from somewhere outside? Cold smokey air likes to come in and stay warm too. Just a thought.

PG I did some research on the site about forum member who had a similar problem.
Reports of a cracked heat exchange tube. Apparently the cracked tube expands during operation and then the crack opens when cool, allowing odor from fire box to enter the room.
Another post sites sawdust leaking from the hopper get blown up into heat exchange. The dust creates an odor as the unit cools down.
Another post claims that while adding pellets, a pellet or pellet dust can land on top of the heat exchange tubes. I just do not know how that could happen.
If you have time maybe run a brush through and vacuum the tubes. Look for cracks in the tube.
Hope this helps.

Dan

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how unlikely. is the answer (or however old Surly Sherly put it) ............ obviously it's either gremlins, karma, feng shui, or juju

Status
Not open for further replies.