Kaewool Rap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if you guys have an opinion on this because my friend did this and his performance of his wood insert increased dramatically using less wood. He wrapped his insert top, back and sides with 1 inch Kaewool and left a tiny gap at the corners to let the insert breath whatever that means and he said his insert runs amazing now, he gets the insert up to temps now using less than half the wood and it stays hotter way linger now. I think I am going to do this in the spring for next year, any thought or has anyone done this before?

When I need me some more heat
In a way that can't beat
Trying to get it done
Kaowool be the one
The insert in a coat
For heat is all she wrote

Rap
Do the Kaowool Rap

Oh man, BB you are the best. Holy crap I'm dying over here.

So i think the answer is it depends. Some say do it. Others say it may be a little risky because temps may easily get out of control if for whatever reason you lose power and your fan cannot toss the heat. Is your fireplace an exterior chimney? What kind of insert do you have? Maybe contact the manufacturer and see what they say. Man my answer sucks so much compared to BB's fancy song.

Its a regency R14 and yes it is an external chimney, with the blower cruising at high seems to hit 350 and hover and stay at 250-300 degrees, just looking for a little more heat is all. This stove has never seen 450 or even 500 degrees according to the gauge and it heats my downstairs just fine but by not hitting those high temps I am cheating myself out of the full potential of the stove.

Ok those temps are pretty low. Do you have a block off plate where the damper used to be? Is the top plate sealed around the liner cover the space between the liner and the masonry chimney?

Where and how are you taking these temp readings on the insert?

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.