Kaowool substitute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluggo

Sep 27, 2010
Puget Sound
Hey Everybody,

First time posted long time lurker. Was wondering if anyone knows of substitute for the Kaowool blanket that Avalon uses for a thermal barrier on top of the firebrick? I find it kind of a PITA when cleaning the stove. It bunches up and tears really easily when removing/installing. I thought it would be great if you could replace the blanket with a board of some sort. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your input.

If it is anything like the white "ceramic" blanket that is on the top bricks of my Country insert Monroe fireplace sells it, they have it on a 2' wide roll, they quoted me $10 for a 2' x 1' piece to replace the one I took out of my stove and lost.

Not sure if you are close to Monroe or not or if this was what you are looking for

Yes and no, that's what in there now. I was hoping to find something more solid. Does anyone know of a ceramic board that can be used as a thermal barrier?

If there is a kiln supply place somewhere around there they can get ceramic fiber board in different sizes and thicknesses. But it is fragile also.

I'm gonna need both next year. I'm waiting for a price from the Quadrafire dealer, but they told me it'll probably be at least 100 bucks for both, which sure seems like a lot to me.

Seems like you could make your own mineral board out of perlite and some sort of refractory mortar (maybe diluted furnace cement?) - it might also be fragile, but it would be cheap as heck. I think $100 for those is a bit much. Ten bucks for the blanket sounds good, even if gets torn some. Having it get ripped up is better than you getting ripped off.

One of these days someone is going to figure out a way to enclose this blanket within the baffle itself. Won't that be nice. :coolgrin:

BeGreen said:
One of these days someone is going to figure out a way to enclose this blanket within the baffle itself. Won't that be nice. :coolgrin:

Nice, but that could make for a VERY expensive replacement part. Can they do it and make it last? Will they WANT to make it last? (At least one poster has suggested Harman is now making it's combustion package with a lower grade material - I'd hate to think that's true.)

Veiled internet sarcasm bb, PE already did it years ago.

And I guess it lasts okay, huh?

BeGreen said:

(Except for the warpage and cracks. :lol:)

Good one Todd

OK now my turn ...

They do BeGreen.... Its called a CAT. %-P

Your up Backwoods... :lol:

Sounds like serious stove envy boys.

You can add rigidizer to the kaowool- it will stiffen it up into an almost board-like piece. $8 a pint. Boards etc are also available at this link (never dealt with them, but their prices are better than many of the other pottery supply places I've bought from... for rigidizer, their brick prices are highway robbery).

http://www.nmclay.com/Amazing/items.asp?Cc=KILN_BLD_REPAIR&iTpStatus=0&Tp;=&Bc;=

BrotherBart said:
If there is a kiln supply place somewhere around there they can get ceramic fiber board in different sizes and thicknesses. But it is fragile also.

depending on the ops model, getting a bafle board up there might be impossible unless its in a few pieces

Wood Heat Stoves said:
BrotherBart said:

depending on the ops model, getting a bafle board up there might be impossible unless its in a few pieces
Kaowool rigidizer. believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.