Karma pay off?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woody5506

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2017
Rochester NY
I got home today and discovered that numerous stumps in my backyard had been ground. Nothing huge, but these were from trees I've taken down over the past couple weeks and actually was just thinking "ugh I gotta get someone to grind these stumps"

The weird thing is...i didn't hire anyone to do this. I asked around and none of my neighbors saw or heard anything. Ironically I have gotten a couple business cards in my door for stump grinding lately. Could it be someone got the wrong house?? They got rid of about 6 stumps for me.

I've been burning myself out lately helping other people cut trees and haul their wood away for what seems like no help in return, ever. A family member suggested to take my deeds as "good karma." Is it wrong that I'm chalking up the mystery stump grinding to my good karma pay off???

My money's on they got the wrong house. Kinda like that two thousand feet of cable from the road to my house that they buried when I hadn't ordered cable TV. But will save me a ton if I ever do.

I hope it's "Instant Karma" in Your Favour/Favor. The alternative is, someone is getting billed for services not provided. Maybe it's a roving herd of beavers. Is that the correct term for plural beavers?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

It will be an interesting ordeal if I ever get a bill for it. What do you do for unauthorized work on your property that you knew you needed but, didn't authorize?

My best guess - not pay for it.

Reactions: oldrockhead
It will be an interesting ordeal if I ever get a bill for it. What do you do for unauthorized work on your property that you knew you needed but, didn't authorize?

My best guess - not pay for it.

I would point out in a friendly way that it was their mistake, not yours. And then I would offer them a part payment in good faith to cover their expenses so that they did not make a loss.

Interesting theory. Considering I had a sketchy guy a few weeks back approach me in my driveway with a stump grinding card (because he saw my wood pile and was doing work 2 houses down) this would be a pretty slick scam to pull. "We did the work though unauthorized so we will just accept a partial payment"...........i don't think so.

Reactions: oldrockhead
Can't wait to hear the end of this story. As I know you are aware, there are scammers in our area because of the windstorm. If they show up and get ornery let me know ...I'll be over with the chainsaw revving!!!!

Maybe that family member was dropping you a hint. Maybe they saw how hard you were working lately and did you a favor in secret?

If you're thinking karma and were going to get it done anyway... Offer something with a signed agreement that all is even for the non-contracted work. Of course, if a bill comes and they are being belligerent, manipulative, refuse to sign, or are in any way jerky... I'd call a letter stating "contact my attorney" as "even."

Nice problem to have! I keep hoping the log truck drops a load off at the wrong house.. nothing yet, but a man can dream, right? :)

Sometimes the gift horse just shows up. Consider it a repayment of your recent labors and keep that saw running!

Well really it's not something I was gonna have done. These weren't big stumps. 12" at most. But it was about 6 of them. I would've rented one and done it myself before having someone else do it, and that's on the "eventually to-do list."

Sounds like property damage. Those stumps had sentimental value, you put in a lot of work cutting those trees down to make perfect yard stumps. They owe you compensation for damages :p

Hopefully it is just a good deed being paid back.

Your instinct is right. If you ever get a bill for this you have no legal obligation to pay them. You never asked for this service, and it's not something you can just return to them, so it's their loss. Same way I can't just mow your lawn and send you a bill without ever talking to you.

Now, if it really was an honest mistake and you feel bad for the guy, you could have moral reasons for throwing some $ his way, but that's a different analysis.

Your instinct is right. If you ever get a bill for this you have no legal obligation to pay them. You never asked for this service, and it's not something you can just return to them, so it's their loss. Same way I can't just mow your lawn and send you a bill without ever talking to you.

Now, if it really was an honest mistake and you feel bad for the guy, you could have moral reasons for throwing some $ his way, but that's a different analysis.

I agree with this, if you do get a bill, ask to see the work order you signed. Since he won't be able to produce one, he's screwed. The rest is up to him, if he's a cool guy, I'd be willing to pay him what it would have cost me to rent a grinder to do it myself. Great deal for you, covers his fuel, and a little time. If he's a d%*k, not your problem, tell him be glad he's not a basement digger.

I agree with this, if you do get a bill, ask to see the work order you signed. Since he won't be able to produce one, he's screwed. The rest is up to him, if he's a cool guy, I'd be willing to pay him what it would have cost me to rent a grinder to do it myself. Great deal for you, covers his fuel, and a little time. If he's a d%*k, not your problem, tell him be glad he's not a basement digger.
Right. And if he does raise a stink, you can always point out that he was the one who trespassed on your land with heavy machinery.

Still subscribing to this thread to find out the ending . . .