Keeping Glass Clean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nayoung31

Mar 27, 2010
Northern Nj
Hello, I'm wondering in anyone has any thoughts on why I'm having trouble keeping the glass clean on my Hearthstone Heritage.
I just got this stove last March so still haven't used it when it's really cold outside but even with a stove-top temp in the good zone and good secondary action going, the bottom and corners are still getting dirty.
Any ideas? Thanks, appreciate any input.

Believe it or not that's pretty good. The edges are going to need attention even in the best burning weather, at least they do on my stove. I clean the glass every time I'm trying to impress someone, other than that, I rub a nice window through the grey ash with the newspaper I use to light it.

I think once you start burning good fires on a regular basis your glass will stay cleaner. Even with the really dry wood we have, we still get a bit of black on the real small fires but it cleans right off after burning good for a day or two. If not happy with the black, like btuser stated, crumble some newspaper, wet it slightly, dip it into the ashes and clean the glass. It works like magic and is really quick and easy to do.

This may have been covered somewhere already so apologies if that is the case.

Does anyone manage to keep their glass clean from one burn to the next?

I have had some burns where the glass stays pretty clear for the whole time, but next morning I still need to clean it before building and lighting once more, (having said that, there are times when the glass looks hardly coloured up at all the next morning but I don't know what I did differently).

Some evenings I get the glass fugging up quite quickly. I'm guessing it's to do with the temperature of the stove (which is to do with quality and dryness of the wood)?

Is there a trick to having the glass stay bright and clear throughout a burn, however long, or is it always going to get messed up?

That's not bad nayoung but if you want your stove glass 'car windshield clean' you're going to have to clean it every morning while its the coolest. Even folks that burn wide open throttle hot, like us, will not have perfectly clean stove glass. But compared to others I've seen ours is the cleanest. Still I like to clean it in the morning, but I'm retired and prefer doing 'little' things that I can get done quickly. Bottled water, leather gloves and a paper towel is all we use.

My Endeavor's glass often dirties around the bottom edges. It's a function of loading N/S and the wood outgassing near the glass in the corners. The rest of the glass stays clean expect for the usual white haze that builds over the course of many fires. I usually just give it a wipe with a paper towel with a touch of Windex on it when the glass is cold.

Sometimes the lower right hand corner of my Oslo gets smudged up . . . sometimes when a split rests up against the glass or when the ash builds up to the point where it covers the glass . . . or sometimes "just because" . . . I suspect the corners are where the air wash system is weakest . . .

I don't worry about a little bit of a smudge . . . it will either burn off once I burn 24/7 . . . or I will clean it when I do my weekend cleaning of the glass . . . cleaning off any smudge and the fly ash with a damp newspaper.

flamenco said:
This may have been covered somewhere already so apologies if that is the case.

Does anyone manage to keep their glass clean from one burn to the next?

I have had some burns where the glass stays pretty clear for the whole time, but next morning I still need to clean it before building and lighting once more, (having said that, there are times when the glass looks hardly coloured up at all the next morning but I don't know what I did differently).

Some evenings I get the glass fugging up quite quickly. I'm guessing it's to do with the temperature of the stove (which is to do with quality and dryness of the wood)?

Is there a trick to having the glass stay bright and clear throughout a burn, however long, or is it always going to get messed up?

Yes, lots of us keep the glass clean without doing anything extra.

I stated before that we will get some black when we build a small fire. Usually only on those small fires that we light and just let burn out. That is only a very few times. Like right now, we've been burning pretty steady and even though they are not big fires, they are enough to keep the glass clean. We rarely have to clean our glass. Even then, it is not to clean off any black but just some fly ash that sticks to the glass so it is a quick and easy clean. I think we did this twice over the last year; maybe only once. So yes, it is possible to keep the glass clean....just by burning wood.

savageactor7 said:
That's not bad nayoung but if you want your stove glass 'car windshield clean' you're going to have to clean it every morning while its the coolest. Even folks that burn wide open throttle hot, like us, will not have perfectly clean stove glass. But compared to others I've seen ours is the cleanest. Still I like to clean it in the morning, but I'm retired and prefer doing 'little' things that I can get done quickly. Bottled water, leather gloves and a paper towel is all we use.

Savageactor, while this might be true for some stoves it is not true for all. We would never consider having to clean glass daily and if we had to clean the glass more than twice a year we'd be hollering.

Glass cleanliness is a relative term. Do you want sort-of clean or windex clean? On most stoves the bottom corners do not wash as well. It depends on the stove model, the wood you are burning, and the temp at which you burn. If you have OCD like myself and demand crystal clear glass, then you are going to have to wipe it off daily. If you burn dry wood this takes 30 seconds with a damp cloth. It takes me longer to load the kindling than it does to wipe down the glass. Dip your cloth in some ash or use a ceramic stovetop cleaner to get rid of any baked on black, but this should be minimal.

Thanks for all the input. Before we the Heritage, we had a VC Intrepid. The air wash on that stove was great and the glass was always clean or cleaned up easily by itself. So, after 18 years with that stove, and not having burned consistantly in this one yet, I'm still trying to get the hang of this newer, bigger stove and window.

Check your door gasket, may not be a tight enough seal.

My Fireview stays pretty much spotless but after about 3 weeks of 24/7 burning I get a buildup of white haze, never see any brown or black in the corners. A damp paper towel wipes it right off.

My Keystone has been getting some brown in the lower corners and I'm still trying to figure out what's causing it. I'm thinking it could be the damp fireplace ash dump air I piped into the stove through my OAK? If I burn it hot it cleans some off but not all. I hope it's not the glass gasket, it looks like a major pita to replace the fixed double pane glass. Another thing it could be is draft, I only have 13' of liner with a couple slight turns. Anyway I'm going to wait til colder weather and see if things change.

Status
Not open for further replies.