Keeping it right in the mountains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwloco

Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
I have to admit, I have it pretty good.

I live in the mountains of NC at about 2600 feet up. Not high by Western standards, but high enough to be cool in the winter, sometimes damned cold.

We live in a small, reasonable, home. 1926 Arts & Craft bungalow. I've worked hard over the last seven years insulating, putting in modern windows, and have been very careful to not buy big fuel sucking appliances. My house washer, water heater, fridge and stove are as energy efficient as you can find; it's like a UN of suppliers.

Now... stoves. My VC Resolute II is just enough to raise the temperature in the house 3 degrees, more in the living room. As the sunroom on the south of the house keeps the daily temperatures about 60-65, after an hour of burning the stove at 400-500F, the house temperature raises to 71F, comfortable for early winter for NC.

No complaints here.

I appreciate your attitude of gratitude. That's pretty rare nowadays. I don't get off the farm to often and I like it like that but I gotta go to Chicago this weekend for a few days and other than my dog, I sure will miss my stove. I hate to think the furnace might come on.

Hi bmwloco- nice to see another western North Carolinian on the forum! I am a resident of Sylva. If you are like me, you have not burned a lot of wood so far this year. So far I have only been burning birch, but may break out some oak based on forecast for colder weather Sunday and Monday.

I've had the stove up probably a dozen times so far, tonight included.

I'd rather keep the house comfortable with the old VC Resolute than hear the heater click on.

I've got a lot of stuff to cut and stack this weekend too. Joy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.