Keeping the handle snug

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagey

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2008
Middle TN
Like a couple of other Lopi owners have noted on the forum, my Endeavor's door sags just a touch. From time to time, the creates a sliver of an opening on the upper left corner of the door. I can usually eliminate this by tightening up the nut on the handle and lifting the door just a touch when I secure it. However, after a few open/close the door sessions, the handle quickly looses that snug fit. I could probably purchase a little gasket and fill that corner in, as there is space for some more gasket/rope there.

However, I was also curious, can I put on a lock washer or something to keep the nut tight? The stove ships with 2 washers to be used for spacers, but I need less space, not more!

Inquiring minds wanna know! :coolgrin:

Don't know the exact specifics of the set-up. You could try a simple spring washer, but they usually don't do much better than a plain flat washer. A star washer would be a step up, but still no guarantee. This area probably gets hot enough so a nylon locking washer or chemical such as locktite won't hold up. Is there room for double nuts? That would provide a solid means to prevent backing off. One other thing which might work would be to grab the threads with a pair of pliers or vice grips to put some 'dings' in the thread. You want enough to create friction on the nut, but not so bad you can't screw the nut on! Beyond that, you'd be looking at a castle nut and pin or some other mechanical means of securement.

Hey Pagey - I have the same problem with my Lopi Answer Insert....I put on a lock washer...seems to hold it better, but still loosens up from time to time...I just put a small wrench on the top of the mantle hidden behind a picture to tighten when needed.

Also, have you noticed on your that the door seems to drop down a slight amount when opened? (Basically, it seems like mine closes fine, but I dont think the door hinges are lined up properly, and I get a little sag when opening.
Good luck

Not sure what you have for hinges, but is there any way to add a spacer to
the lower hinge pin to change the orientation of the bottom of the door?

Yeah, the door dips just enough to barely drag the ash lip when it's opened. I've considered adding something to the hinges, but since it's a pretty snug fit already, it would have to be something very thin. What can I try? Maybe wrapping the bottom hinge pin with a round or two of aluminum foil? Is that crazy?

Get the thinnest washer that will fit the hinge pin,
Or make one - or more - from a thin piece of sheet metal
- something you can cut with tin snips...

Tonight should be much warmer than the previous nights. Once I get the daily chores finished up, I'll experiment with the hinge pin options, see what I can do to achieve a tighter fit there. Might get another 9/16" bolt to put on behind the first one and see if that helps keep the door snug as well.

Thanks for the insight!

Update: talked to my dealer last night, and he said (as I read somewhere on here once) to just remove the door and then take a hammer or rubber mallet and move the bottom hinge to the left about 1/8 of an inch or so and tap the top hinge to the right. Done and done! The door no longer touches the ash lip, and the little sliver of fire at the top left corner seems to have been eliminated. He said they use the same method at the factory to adjust the hinges. Seems to have eliminated my problem for now. Let's hope it lasts!

There are few problems in life that can't be solved with a bigger hammer. Of course when I was in charge of aviation maintenance the pilots didn't want to hear that. :lol:

It'll last.

Status
Not open for further replies.