Keeping track of pool Water temperatures over the holiday. See Chart

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
We have an 18 foot round above grading pool and no solar cover.
So I made this chart in MS Excel.
Looks like it varied from 76.3 to 83 Degs F from June 30 to July 5.
What temp is good for swimming that is not too cold?

F752FE34-CBE0-4D23-8F52-1B23A460FEB6.jpeg

mid 80s is good swimming mid 90s is getting hot and mid 70s we think is cold down here. Generally the kids will go in when it hits 70. I wait until closer to 80. But it’s the south. We open it in April and close it end of September or beginning of October. It will get to almost 100 in the late afternoons of a really hot week here with no rain. 3” of rain can drop the temp 5 degrees or more.

Looks pretty normal for New England.

Saw my first pool heatpump service van yesterday. My BIL has one in Tampa. He heats it all winter then cools it during the peak of summer.

Reactions: fbelec
My wife and I were in Maine after we moved to MA in 2003. Noticed the board on the lifeguard stand. Today's water temperature: 52 F.

Lots of people in the water. I stuck my foot in the water. Very cold.

I asked someone about it later. They said the people were mostly from Canada, and it's a matter of perspective. Told me to look at the license plates in the parking lot when we were leaving. Quebec.

85 is typical for a recreational pool, but really it's all just personal preference.

Keep in mind that chlorine doesn't last as long at higher temperatures so you may need to up your dosage. Also keep tabs on your CYA level, too much is not a good thing if you're using dichlor or trichlor tabs then you likely already have too much.

Reactions: Don2222