Keeping warm in Ireland

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

allhandsworking

Feeling the Heat
Sep 30, 2008
NYC
Here is my experience with family in Ireland. Since old farm houses in Mayo are built of stone or masonry they are damp and cold! In the summer they turn the electric blanket on to dry the sheets before you creep into it! "But turn it off as soon as you get in because Maureen woke up with her feckin feet on fire"! They burn wood and coal in a shallow fire place that is lined with cast iron it has a water jacket. I don't think it was very efficient. While i am there i stoke the fires. The wood looks like it comes from hedge rows and is soaked i like to scrap off the moss that can be an inch think! The coal comes from Poland and is packed in plastic bags that you buy from the grocery store. All the homes have ribbons of smoke coming out! On still days they they look like streamers rolling across the hills and valleys! They burn peat or "turf" on special days! We go up to the bog to cut turf some times. Yes up to the bog you would think the bog would be low but it's not there! The turf needs to be stacked to dry before it can be burned I'm not sure how long? The air smells smokey and sweet like Jamesons wiskey. A nice view from the bog. Looking west you can see Crough Patrick(mountain), west port and the Atlantic ocean. There are wind mills on many of the mountain tops!

Ireland is my favorite place to be cold! It is so beautiful, almost dream like! There really is 1,000 shades of green.

Ah, Ireland - land of my ancestors, many generations ago. Would love to see pictures!

Hubby served in the military in Korea where the homes in that area were built slightly above ground - more like huts on short stilts. The Koreans gathered dry cow manure to burn and shoved it under their huts for 'central heat'.

Shari

The best way to stay warm in Ireland is called Bushmills.

Sounds lovely, No politics here but if the U S keeps on it's Liberal track that is one of the places I have chosen to retire soon.

cptoneleg said:
Sounds lovely, No politics here but if the U S keeps on it's Liberal track that is one of the places I have chosen to retire soon.
Not for nothing Ireland is really really liberal. But I think that is coming to an end due to the fact that they are broke and Germany doesn't want to pay anymore. Otherwise the people are great and the chow has improved greatly!

Shari said:
Ah, Ireland - land of my ancestors, many generations ago. Would love to see pictures!

Hubby served in the military in Korea where the homes in that area were built slightly above ground - more like huts on short stilts. The Koreans gathered dry cow manure to burn and shoved it under their huts for 'central heat'.

Shari
Here is a taste
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_5nP9VKxbQ&sns=em

Sent from my iPad

Last year I spent two weeks in a seaside cottage with my family way out in the wilds of south West Kerry (Ireland). We heated the cottage exlusively burning coal and peat in two woodstoves. The stoves were located in the family room and kitchen and each room you could close off doors to trap the heat in the room. The rest of the house stayed cold and when it was time for bed you had to run to the bed and jump under the flannel and goose down comforters (which got warm quickly). I absolutely loved it and as you said, I enjoyed being cold there. The smell of coal and peat burning in everyone's homes is a smell that I love and will never forget. I have even purchased peat here back in the states and burned it in my own fireplace and stove. The only drawback is you have to run outside to smell it:)

BrotherBart said:

If you're Protestant that is ;) Republicans drink Jameson!

Badfish740 said:
BrotherBart said:

If you're Protestant that is ;) Republicans drink Jameson!
Yep my families from the north side. My wives fam is from the south I wouldn't dare call Derry Londonderry in there presence! My Grandfather was Presbyterian in Donegal and everything was fine until the county was absorbed by the republic. Things changed over night and he fled the country! It's scary the whole ethnic cleansing thing in Europe! I am sympathetic to the (Irish)if you know the history! It's amazing that the country isn't in shambles! They seem to be ironing things out and the world should mind there business! I would live to live there for some time to really get into the music and culture more! Although my Irish cousins think American Irish are more Irish then the Irish!

allhandsworking said:
Although my Irish cousins think American Irish are more Irish then the Irish!

Irish that have moved somewhere else become Professional Irishmen. Just like a Texan that moves becomes a Professional Texan. :lol:

BB - Professional Texan

BrotherBart said:
allhandsworking said:
Although my Irish cousins think American Irish are more Irish then the Irish!

Irish that have moved somewhere else become Professional Irishmen. Just like a Texan that moves becomes a Professional Texan. :lol:

BB - Professional Texan
That hit the nail!

Status
Not open for further replies.