Keeping wood off the ground. Pallets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bushels20

Feeling the Heat
May 20, 2018
OH
I have just run out of pallets and still have 3 more cords to stack.

Wondering if there is some ingenious way to elevate the splits that I don’t know of?

Right now, i have 9 cords all off the ground on pallets. Each cord separated by a pallet in between so I can keep track.

How do you all keep your splits off the ground?

I use pallets too, when I ran out I hit craigslist and got more. Thinking of going to a different system now since my pallets are broken/rotting. Was going to get blocks and use 2 x 4 x 8s.

Pallets are all I use. Save for some with a deposit or credit for return, they are free for the taking anywhere. Check your lumber yards, even plumbing/electrical supply houses. No need to buy blocks and 2x4's.
Those will rot eventually also.

Your local ACE Hardware is paying to have them hauled off every week of the year. They are glad to get rid of'em.

Check with local Crop Service/Chemical Applicators. I can get all I want from our local plant & the local machine shop gets pallets there to ship parts on.

I use 4x8x16 solid concrete blocks on the ends and middle, and then put two landscape timbers on top of the blocks, spaced for the width of the stack. Then stack on the timbers. This keeps the stacks about 8" off the ground and lets air circulate under the stacks. My stacks are 8' long and 5' high and in a roofed over wood shed to keep most rain/snow off the stacks. All of my wood is cut and stacked in summer #1 to start the drying, and then used during the heating season after summer #2 -- very dry.

Reactions: coutufr
I use 4x8x16 solid concrete blocks on the ends and middle, and then put two landscape timbers on top of the blocks, spaced for the width of the stack. Then stack on the timbers. This keeps the stacks about 8" off the ground and lets air circulate under the stacks. My stacks are 8' long and 5' high and in a roofed over wood shed to keep most rain/snow off the stacks. All of my wood is cut and stacked in summer #1 to start the drying, and then used during the heating season after summer #2 -- very dry.

That’s a good idea as well. Stays pretty sturdy?

Stays sturdy as long as the blocks/timbers are level and the stacks are straight. The higher the stacks go, the more important to be straight and level.

I have just run out of pallets and still have 3 more cords to stack.

Wondering if there is some ingenious way to elevate the splits that I don’t know of?

Right now, i have 9 cords all off the ground on pallets. Each cord separated by a pallet in between so I can keep track.

How do you all keep your splits off the ground?
hem3.jpg

Treated 4X4's and cinder blocks,sturdy,stable,plenty air flow.Stack once.Those 4x4's have survived since 2004.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: coutufr
There are plenty of threads that discuss this. I keep it simple. Save 2 or 3" diameter straight branches, as long as you can get them. Stack wood on them, rotating the orientation of the splits at the ends of the stacks. Cover with 6 mil black plastic.

pallets here too. I have all my 55+ cords stacked on them. I get them free from our family farm when I need them. However, it's a 5 hour round trip when I do. I time it so when I'm up there for holidays I bring a load back with me.

Agree with everyone above. I use pallets for all kinds of things and I have 4 or 5 different sources for them. I keep a stack and can get them just about anytime I need them. Because of all the natural gas drilling here, some of them are even oak and cherry.

Reactions: JimBear
Hardwood pallets are the best they seem to last longer. Ideally I would lay down some driveway fiber/mesh then add some pea gravel then add pallets & wood. This would eliminate grass & weeds from growing up around & thru my piles. My outside piles are along a field fence so I like the pallets from the Chemical plant that have a bit of herbicide on them, keeps the weeds down.

Reactions: mountain man 2
Hardwood pallets are the best they seem to last longer. Ideally I would lay down some driveway fiber/mesh then add some pea gravel then add pallets & wood. This would eliminate grass & weeds from growing up around & thru my piles. My outside piles are along a field fence so I like the pallets from the Chemical plant that have a bit of herbicide on them, keeps the weeds down.
That's why I did this.....:)
0713182038.jpg
0611181709.jpg

0430181246.jpg

0430181246a.jpg

3 inch PVC pipe. I used the same pipe 3 times and never broke one in about 10 years. Cost a bit but better than rotted pallets

Would cost a few bucks but what about 4” treated fence posts? 8’ers are less than $9 at Ag land around here and might last you many years.

I use pallets in my wood shed. After several years they rot so I am now putting plastic down first. I think this will greatly extend their life.

Reactions: mountain man 2
Swinging away from pallets, 1 because of the rotting even on asphalt 2 tired of stepping on one and breaking out a board ( that can also become dangerous in more ways than one) so it is going to be cement blocks and ? 3" plastic pipe sound interesting provided I cap the ends , hate those little things with the pointed ends and they would find those open pipes just super ( bad enough on the fencing here around the shop. course still get the bumble nests and such in the stacks themselves at times but is really less of a problem. treated timbers - dang ants always seem to fall in love with those.

Swinging away from pallets, 1 because of the rotting even on asphalt 2 tired of stepping on one and breaking out a board ( that can also become dangerous in more ways than one) so it is going to be cement blocks and ? 3" plastic pipe sound interesting provided I cap the ends , hate those little things with the pointed ends and they would find those open pipes just super ( bad enough on the fencing here around the shop. course still get the bumble nests and such in the stacks themselves at times but is really less of a problem. treated timbers - dang ants always seem to fall in love with those.

The 3 inch schedule 40 pipe is perfect. For direct ground contact. Mine is in rocky unlevel area where a lot is not touching the ground. No issues with the open ends. Never found a nest or seen a chipmunk go in one.I have to find pictures and all the rest of the details

Last edited: