Keeping wood off the ground. Pallets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Whats wrong with a rotten pallet? Throw it away, replace with a "new" free pallet. I have a stack of 15-20 ready to go. Quick trip to the lumber yard gets me 20-25 more in my truck.

Reactions: mountain man 2
other than moving 1/2 a cord or more to replace it?

I just picked up 10 pallets yesterday, I'll generally get (2) years out of a pallet before it gets sent to the fire pit.

Every few years I go with my 1-ton van and scrounge a bunch of pallets. I do stack
on pallets. Yes, they all rot eventually- but they do keep my splits up off the ground
just fine. As a bonus, the pallet wood makes acceptable kindling, and it's pretty fast
and easy to reduce it to small pieces when the time comes.

In a perfect world, I'd use a better method for stacking, but this will do for now...

If you can cherry pick the pallets, always look for the ones painted blue or red. Atleast in my area thats a good sign of a hardwood pallet. We have a few mining companies in our town so nice heavy duty pallets are easy to come by. My wood pile has yet to outlive the pallets they sit on. So when I go through that stack and put the pallet on a brush pile in the field and cover it up. Rabbits love them.

Reactions: mountain man 2
3 inch PVC pipe. I used the same pipe 3 times and never broke one in about 10 years. Cost a bit but better than rotted pallets

I just check HD prices and wow $14.62 for a 10 foot 3" PVC Pipe. I guess it lasts forever but that would get pricy for me.

Whats wrong with a rotten pallet? Throw it away, replace with a "new" free pallet. I have a stack of 15-20 ready to go. Quick trip to the lumber yard gets me 20-25 more in my truck.
True,but i found that treated 4x4's and even landscape timbers will far outlast any pallets except plastic ones which around here go for 12$ apiece.

Reactions: blacktail
True,but i found that treated 4x4's and even landscape timbers will far outlast any pallets except plastic ones which around here go for 12$ apiece.
Bought a dozen on Craigslist for $8 a piece i believe they ship tires on them,48X40
pal.jpg

Reactions: max384
Treated 4x4s. Put em on the ground. Stack your wood on em. No need to make it complicated.

Treated 4x4s. Put em on the ground. Stack your wood on em. No need to make it complicated.

I like the simplicity but 4 x 4 - 8' pressure treated goes for about $11 each around here. That would be $66 to stack a cord of wood. <>

I like the simplicity but 4 x 4 - 8' pressure treated goes for about $11 each around here. That would be $66 to stack a cord of wood. <>
Who wants to buy new ones to stack wood on? Old 4x4s are one of those things people just end up with. I did a landscaping project and used pavers to replace a bunch that the previous owner of my house used to border a path. My neighbor replaced a fence and saved the old posts for stacking wood. There's a fencing company in town that stacks old fencing materials out by the road for free. They're always giving away 4x4 posts.

I’m using foam pallets now. White foam like styrofoam but denser. No rot. Light weight which is good when moving them but not so good when they’re empty and the wind blows.

Wood pallets are very hard to find anymore. If you have a good free source then great but it’s a constant replacement item. Every few years.