1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Kenmore fridge icemaker problem

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by MrKLeen, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrKLeen

MrKLeen New Member

Loc:
    So. NH
    It likes to stop making ice. The little arm seems to stick, if i tap it, it will start making ice again. If there are any appliance techs out there any advice would be appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jabush

jabush Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Howard County, MD
    If you are into tinkering with stuff like that, go to the Sears website and look for ice makers. You can put in the model # of your fridge and it will pull up the unit you need. There will also be a parts list.
    You'll notice that some of the parts are 2/3 the cost of a new unit. I opted for a new unit as I didn't want to fool with it.
  3. blujacket

blujacket Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Carrollton,Ohio
    Replacement time. Do you have a water softener? If so, take the ice maker out and look at the mold the cubes are formed in. I bet the teflon is gone. Thats what burns the motors and gears out when the stripper cant get the cubes out.
  4. MrKLeen

MrKLeen New Member

Loc:
    So. NH
    Alrighty, i guess that makes sense, I do have a water softener, but it was doing this before I had it. But probably needs to be replaced none the less. Thanks for the help.
  5. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    There are a multitude of independent appliance repair sites out there, I like Appliance411.com/ or The Samurai Appliance Repair Guy, and there are others as well... They offer various levels of diagnostic and repair advice for all sorts of major appliances, mostly free (They make their money off selling the parts to fix stuff).

No opinion on the advice you've already gotten, and no personal suggestions, but I'd take a look at their pages as well just in case it's something easy like a stuck switch or something.

Gooserider
  6. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    The icemaker in my kenmore goes on the blink when the water filter cartridge needs to be replaced.

We actual use it as the indicator that we need to swap it out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.