1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

KEROSENE

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by ROYJ24, Jul 23, 2008.

1. saichele

saichele Minister of Fire

Closest thing you'd probably get is either biodiesel or filtered waste veggie oil. I have NG, so I'm not sweating that, but I bet you could do a 50-50 mix of veggie and real fuel oil without losing much, and the veggie should be closer to $2/gallon (yes, it's a for sale commodity now).

Steve

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Redox

Redox Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Burbs of B'more, MD, Hon!
    I checked with my tractor buff aquaintances and found that this was apparently a common option on many old farm tractors. The one I am thinking of was the 720 diesel that had a 4 cyl pony motor that ran on gasoline. You fired up the gas engine and engaged a clutch to start the diesel. The gas engine only had a 1/2 gal tank. This was a real diesel with an injection pump and was a real stump puller, but we found not the best thing for a PTO generator (none of the 2 cylinders were, IMHO). The distillate engines relied on heat to vaporize the kerosene and a conventional ignition system to light it off.

Chris
  3. HeatsTwice

HeatsTwice Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Santa Rosa, California
    Roundup is $27 per gallon. Kerosine is $3-4. Kerosine works very well as a defoliant and great if sprayed on poisen oak/ivy. When I was a kid, the lines of outfield foul lines of baseball diamonds where marked with Kerosine.

It also makes a great cement releasing agent when sprayed on plywood forms.

Great for starting the wood stove fires also.