KEROSENE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hosspuller said:
iceman said:
my oil take is has a 1/4 till empty... about 82 gallons what can i put in it besides oil to get another say 80 gallons with out hurting my furnace? is there a mix... kero, transmission fluid,???

You can put kerosene, diesel, jet A or any similar fuels in the tank. YOU'll have to decide which is more cost effective than #2 fuel oil. I would stay away from any lubricating oils because they contain additives that could build up on the burner nozzle. This will require a service call and or new parts. What $$$ you save on fuel, you'll pay in service and parts. Waste oils are the same issue. Dirt and "stuff" are bad for a furnace designed for clean fuel.

Closest thing you'd probably get is either biodiesel or filtered waste veggie oil. I have NG, so I'm not sweating that, but I bet you could do a 50-50 mix of veggie and real fuel oil without losing much, and the veggie should be closer to $2/gallon (yes, it's a for sale commodity now).

Steve

I checked with my tractor buff aquaintances and found that this was apparently a common option on many old farm tractors. The one I am thinking of was the 720 diesel that had a 4 cyl pony motor that ran on gasoline. You fired up the gas engine and engaged a clutch to start the diesel. The gas engine only had a 1/2 gal tank. This was a real diesel with an injection pump and was a real stump puller, but we found not the best thing for a PTO generator (none of the 2 cylinders were, IMHO). The distillate engines relied on heat to vaporize the kerosene and a conventional ignition system to light it off.

Chris

Roundup is $27 per gallon. Kerosine is $3-4. Kerosine works very well as a defoliant and great if sprayed on poisen oak/ivy. When I was a kid, the lines of outfield foul lines of baseball diamonds where marked with Kerosine.

It also makes a great cement releasing agent when sprayed on plywood forms.

Great for starting the wood stove fires also.

Status
Not open for further replies.