Keystone out for repair, Dutchman back in.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
Sure, I could have just burned the last few fires of the season in the Keystone, but I thought I might enjoy playing with the Dutchwest a bit before the season ends. >>
The problem with the Keystone is a front left-side vertical seam air leak which was evident from day 1, but has gotten worse. If I get a load gassing pretty good, then cut the air, you can see flame shooting from the full length of that seam, half way across the top of the glass. The inability to control the air entering the stove results in the stove going to 500 with the air cut all the way. There are probably not many stoves that leave the Woodstock plant with defects; Just my luck to get one that was put together the day after the drunken picnic.... ;) ;lol I could probably just goop the seam with some cement, but Todd told me that the folks at Woodstock supply detailed instructions for removing the front of the stove, and it's not too big a deal to do it. Luckily, I'm comfortable doing this type of thing, and I have a backup stove on hand. I didn't want to go through the hassle of shipping it back when the defect became apparent early on, and you're on your own with no dealer (who would probably do a hack-job repair anyway....) ;hm
So I replaced all the gaskets on the Dutchwest, sealed a couple of seams, put in a diesel-foil Condar combustor I had here, and a new probe, and fired 'er up last night. I don't know how quick the cat will light off; I just waited until the recommended 500 on the probe (which didn't take too long,) and the cat lit instantly. The cats are supposed to light really quick when they are new, and I'll experiment to see at how low a temp I can light it. We had flurries here last night, it's going into the 20s again tonight, and Wed. night is in the 30s so I'll get to burn several loads. After that, we'll probably be about done here except for a few little chill-chaser burns.
The fire box is slightly larger than the Keystone's....probably closer to the Fireview in volume. It has a convective chamber on the back and top. I have the blower but didn't put it on this time. With the little bit of air-sealing I did on the house earlier this winter, the stove easily kept the house over 70, on a night a little warmer than average for winter, but with a stiff wind. The blower will really raise room temps in a hurry, and I needed it before when the stove was back in the fireplace. With the liner and tee setup I have now, the stoves sit out on the hearth and can radiate nicely off the sides into the room. After 11 hrs. on a load of White Ash and Black Oak, the stove was down close to 200 and the cat probe was at 550, and at 12 hrs. there were plenty of coals for an easy reload.
I like this little stove a lot. Cool-looking, well-built for a cheap stove, ;lol....and it's got a grated ash-handling system. >> The air lever is hotter than a two-dollar pistol. :oops: I'll have to rig something up for that....

Dw2_zps991b8f3c.jpg

Dw1_zps4cdbb479.jpg

Dw3_zps9bef98ed.jpg

Dw4_zps3b923562.jpg

Dw5_zpsd33e7450.jpg

Last edited:
I've had a few of these, they're alright.
Not all dealers do hack jobs FYI. ;)
I'm getting a faint whiff of smoke near the stove. Seems to be coming from the hinge side of the door (probably warped) so I don't know if tightening the latch will help all that much but I'll try it when the stove cools down. I guess I could put another gasket in at some point, and figure out a way to get the hinge side of the gasket higher. Maybe the door isn't too expensive....
Did you ever mess with the cat air control at all? They say give it a little more cat air on a high burn (I'm just burning low now, since it's not that cold.)
I'm confident that you guys would do a great job, that's why I said "probably." You guys are hours away, though. ==c How many others have your first-hand experience or hang out on stove forums, though. Most probably have never owned a stove, I would guess. Eventually they would learn something if they worked on enough of them, and if they gave a crap. It's also possible that I'm just way too cynical. ;lol

I just leave the cat air turned out about 1 or 1.5 full turns. I could never tell any real difference unless it gets shut off, then the stove will start huffing.

On the Keystone, you think it's a missing gasket?

I just leave the cat air turned out about 1 or 1.5 full turns. I could never tell any real difference unless it gets shut off, then the stove will start huffing.
I got a puff last night when I cut the air too fast on a load that was gassing pretty good. I just tweaked the door latch a bit more, and I think it helped, we'll see. I had to be quick about it; Just loaded about 5 hrs ago and there's still a lot of wood in there that's ready to take off. :oops:

On the Keystone, you think it's a missing gasket?
I'm not sure how the stove is constructed, if there are gaskets that the stones are tightened against, but there are cemented seams inside the firebox on the inner stones....

What you see here to the left is the glass (hazed) and glass gasket. The glass clip is bolted into the frame, and where the clip restricts the air coming in through the seam, you can see the surface of the stone has been eroded (the white area.) I saw a lot of that in my SIL's used Fireview which had been over-fired by the previous owner and had lots of air leaks.

022_zpsf97d9801.jpg

045_zpsc31b4de6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.