Kids let the wood get wet. I start yellin.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
Am I the only one? Kids have set chores that include getting wood in . They didn't cover the wood stacks when they were done and it rained. soaked a good 5 linier feet of the wood stack. 2nd time this week. So there is about half a cord of wood I threw back in the "to be stacked" pile for next year.

that stinks man.
but they are kids.... and thus the short term memory and concentratoin of a pot head.
they will grow to be wood and stove haters..... go easy.

i always thought 'surface wet' was different then internal wet... that should be ok to burn in a week or 2 of drying out.
am i wrong?

You wont need to wait till next year for it to dry out. leave it uncovered when the weather permits and cover for bad weather and it should be fine in a few weeks. surface water goes away real fast.

David, looks like it may dry out by Thursday. Looks sunny, cool and dry till then! I don't think that was enough to soak it. But hey, give the kids a guilt trip and demand reparations of some sort.

now that we all told you its fine in couple of weeks you feel bad dont ya?

"well guess what!! you're all getting a wet log for christmas damn it!"

moondoggy said:
now that we all told you its fine in couple of weeks you feel bad dont ya?

"well guess what!! you're all getting a wet log for christmas damn it!"

NOPE!! don't feel bad.

I agree. If it was already seasoned wood, a day or two is all it needs to dry out again. Most of the rain runs off instead of soaking in.

Outside water dries easily. The cold, dry winter wind will suck the moisture out quite rapidly. Another trick is to pile them near your fire indoors. They'll be totally dry in the matter of a few hours.

DavidV said:
Am I the only one? Kids have set chores that include getting wood in . They didn't cover the wood stacks when they were done and it rained. soaked a good 5 linier feet of the wood stack. 2nd time this week. So there is about half a cord of wood I threw back in the "to be stacked" pile for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.