Kiln dried firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first time in 8 years that I have had a place to burn wood. I just completed my new house and shop and with the pains of watching everything being built, I didn't get to cut any firewood this summer. I did have many trees knocked down during an easement construction and I have been cutting them up. Most are hickory and red oak and after splitting and stacking the mc is still about 28% with my moisture meter. I was just thinking that since I don't have pre-seasoned wood, I could put some in the kiln
http://www.geocities.com/dualsprings/ducktangpage1.html
that I already have that isn't drying lumber for me right now, to dry some firewood. I figured in a month I could get it down to 15% pretty easy with nothing else but the fans running since there would be negligible solar gain because it is winter. I could at least dry enough to make it through this winter. My woodburner, an old Atlanta Homesteader log hog, is in the shop, it doesn't burn much, only when I am in there in the evenings, I was concerned about burning relatively moist wood for short periods of time. I have a Century S141E I may try and see how it works.

I used most of the scraps making shelves for the shop, but the tablesaw and miter saw still gives me plenty to use as kindling. Your right about solar gain, when I dried a load of hickory boards one winter, it took 2 1/2 -3 months to get it down to 7% mc from fresh off the mill 30% + mc. The solar kiln will easily get the inside temp 40 degrees above outside temp if the sun is shining. I figure my best route is to bum from the neighbors this winter and swap them unseasoned hickory and oak for some seasoned maple and oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.