Kiln dried wood in Ci2700

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

localmotion

Nov 30, 2020
Washington D.C.
Hello,

Ive searched the forum and haven't found a concrete answer to whether or not you can burn Kiln Dried wood in an cat. stove. I have a Regency CI2700 if that makes a difference. I certainly do not want to over-fire my stove.

Thank you in advance

Kiln-dried wood is at 6 to 8 mc
no reason you can't burn it

Hello,

Ive searched the forum and haven't found a concrete answer to whether or not you can burn Kiln Dried wood in an cat. stove. I have a Regency CI2700 if that makes a difference. I certainly do not want to over-fire my stove.

Thank you in advance
Kiln dried covers a wide range of things. Are you talking about kiln dried lumber scraps? If so.that is ok but be careful it will have lots of surface area and be extremely dry it could get out of hand quickly.

Kiln dried firewood can vary greatly in moisture content. Some is simply heated to a certain temp to kill any bugs and may not be dry at all. Others can be very dry.

Kiln dry wood is ok to burn in any stove.. as long as the wood is. not painted, the MC is below 20%, its not treated.

IF THE WOOD IS TRULY KILN DRIED. and has a low MC it will catch quick so getting your stove up to temp from a cold start may not take as long.

Thank you for your replies.

I should have been more specific, the wood I was referring to was kiln dried firewood.

I had some "seasoned" firewood delivered and noticed my stove taking a bit longer to come up to temp and as I stared at the fire, noticed the ends of the logs releasing moisture. I split a couple of logs and took measurements and averaged 25-30% MC. Unfortunately, I burned about a 1/4 cord of this...Do you think that would be enough to clog my liner?

I've ordered a full cord of kiln dried firewood and read what you mentioned Woodsplitter, so I will have to be careful until I get used to it. The company says the wood has a MC of 8-12%

This is my first time owning a home with a wood fireplace and started to go down the rabbit hole of chimney fires and read a lot about clogged liners..oh the power of the internet! As a precaution, I did pick up to chimfex sticks just in case.

Your liner should be good but if you are worried sweep it
Me I would but on a hot fire and burn out whatever is in the inner
When you get the "kiln dried" wood before accepting delivery
check the moisture content. "Kiln dried" I would be looking for 15% or better
but anything under 18 % I would accept

If you have creosote buildup in the chimney the only way to get it out safely is by cleaning it. A hot fire may dry it out and make it flake off possibly. But if it "burns it out" that is a chimney fire and is not desirable.

Reactions: moresnow
Our local lumber yard is selling scraps of lumber for firewood. It is mostly 1-foot lengths of 2"x4".
Since lumber is primarily pine (as I understand it) would there be concern about creosote buildup with burning this type of wood?

Our local lumber yard is selling scraps of lumber for firewood. It is mostly 1-foot lengths of 2"x4".
Since lumber is primarily pine (as I understand it) would there be concern about creosote buildup with burning this type of wood?

As long as it's not pressure treated it should be fine. Just realize that it's likely EXTREMELY dry and will burn hot and fast. Do no stuff your stove with it or you could get a runaway situation. Put a few pieces in and see how it reacts then titrate up.