Kindling - From Split to Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
From my oak splits that are ready to burn, I choose the straightest, with no knots, and turn some of them into kindling. My full size 3.5# ax:

As I split them, I toss them into my little wagon:
IMG_4132.jpg

When the wagon is full, I pull it to my kindling stacks:
IMG_4133.jpg

It remains in my kindling stacks until my kindling box in the garage needs refilling:
IMG_4134.jpg

How'd that popsicle stick get in there?!

From the kindling box in the garage, it goes into my kindling bucket by the stove, as needed:
IMG_4135.jpg

And there's my story of kindling processing! It's very relaxing. I can watch the cows in the pasture and wave at the neighbors as they drive by.

You're our "how to" guy, Quads.
Thanks.

I have the same technique, using the inertia of the axe except I use a smaller 2-1/2 pounder. Well... almost the same. I choke the axe, meaning I hold it near the head, at the balance point.

No Oak around here so I use Black Ash that splits like a dream.

index.php

Wow LLigetfa, those are some really nice straight pieces! I have also been known to use my pieces of kindling for other stuff, like marking the rows in the garden and for when I need a little "board", etc. Your kindling would be awesome for my other uses! Sometimes I have to search my oak kindling pile awhile to find just the right one. All of yours are the right one.

I use Lathe board ,small wooden slats that they used to use to support plaster walls in old homes.
Afew of these to get started and you can add branch wood
Also if you have a good wood stove you only need to make a new fire rarely cuz you will have burning coals for 30+ hours

trump said:
Also if you have a good wood stove you only need to make a new fire rarely cuz you will have burning coals for 30+ hours
Same here, sometimes there will be oak coals in my stove for days. The only time I use kindling is in the Fall and Spring when I have a small fire at night, and sometimes on those cooler Summer nights I'll use it for "firewood", or to get it going good on those windy below -0°F mornings.

Where most of my kindling goes is to some of my firewood customers. I give out a free armload of kindling to those that want it with their firewood purchase. Many of the campers use sticks and twigs and things like that so they don't take any of my kindling, the wood stove customers generally split their own out of the firewood or from lumber scraps etc., but the fireplace customers almost always take my free kindling when they buy firewood.

trump said:
I use Lathe board ,small wooden slats that they used to use to support plaster walls in old homes.
Afew of these to get started and you can add branch wood

I use those too, from when we remodeled my sons room. but lately i have been using 2x4's that i got from where i work when they tore out the previously finished basement. i cut them down to 20" and 8" pieces, then split them in 2 or 3 with the hatchet.

7416_101533479864207_100000226667337_44816_2855221_n.jpg

One of the most satisfying things in the world is when you get the axe head into the kindling split and the thing just pops all the way down the length on the first or secodn tap. No real effort involved...lots of useful production thoguh.

mayhem said:
One of the most satisfying things in the world is when you get the axe head into the kindling split and the thing just pops all the way down the length on the first or secodn tap. No real effort involved...lots of useful production thoguh.
You got it! Some people would rather be doing jigsaw puzzles, or watching Wheel, or slowly rocking in their chair. Not me. Nothing wrong with those things if that's what you like, but I'd rather be splitting kindling. Not much braun [brawn] required. Some things we do just because we don't have to do them. It doesn't have to make sense to smarter people. That's why they're called the "simple" things of life.

You need those freaky midget horses to pull that wagon.

I understand about the satisfaction of splitting this stuff- it's magic when it happens with the 48" pieces that I sidestoke the kiln with. I feel like a man of average height.

Status
Not open for further replies.